dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Bitrate Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zodiac

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar 2005, 20:07    Post subject: Another Bitrate Question Reply with quote

Sorry i know this has been discussed many times .. but here i am again .. asking something on Bitrate

I use Sony Mini DV Cam, 10 mins of captured video is about 2.2 GB in Size (AVI), now i convert this to Mpeg2 using Tmpgenc and also using Ulead DMF 3.0.

Ulead DMF 3.0 only give me 4 choice of Mpeg settings, Best, Good, Stnd etc .. setting and calculated Bitrate automatically. so i use TMPGenc .. lets move on ..

I use TmpgEnc setting of CBR - 8000 - I get 60 Mins on one DVD, I use TMPGenc setting of VBR (max 6000, min 2500) i get 25% reduction in file size .. but no noticable video quality loss over hte CBR -- What Should i use i am confused ?

Secondly when i play video using VBR and i see video information from the the player .. it hardly shows me varying bitrate .. it keep moving from 5.9-6.0 K .. how do i get to see 2.5-6.0 ? when i play commercial DVD the bitrate varies from 0.1K - 9 K .. how do i get that kind of thing ?

I just need to get Rid of 12 GB Avi files from my disc and convert them to MPEG with the best possible setting with acceptable file size .. pelase Advice the best bitrate setting for my home videos.

Also do i use 2 pass VBR or normal VBR in TMPGenc ?
Also what should be my Motion serach option ? Best, Normal Good ?[/list]
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar 2005, 1:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use 2-pass VBR, that will let the encoder make the best distribution of the bitrate according to each scene (higher bitrate in complex images, lower bitrate is simple images). Keep the maximum set to 8000, set the minimum to 2000, and adjust the average according to the amount of video you want to put in the disc (use the calculator).

Unless you are on a deadline, set the motion search algorithm to "Highest quality". It's slower, but the final results are better (i.e., better quality for the same bitrate).

Most of this is described in the compression guide.

RMN
~~~
Zodiac

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar 2005, 6:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RMN .. i will try all u suggested and will post the results or further queries i may have .. thanks again
Zodiac

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar 2005, 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello RMN, Thanks .. i am using Min 2500 Max 9200 and Avg 6000 bitrate and i am getting what i wanted .. i think Very Happy however i am not still confident to delete the source AVI .. just a thought that is there a possibility of better output with almost same size .. .

thanks anyways
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar 2005, 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVD quality is not supposed to be as good as DV. DVD is a home video format (like VHS). DV is a semi-professional format (somewhere between Hi8 and Beta SP, but digital). If the video is something important, keep the original DV tapes, and record your finished project to DV (it'll probably last longer than a recordable DVD anyway).

As far as DVD MPEG-2 goes, I doubt you'll get noticeably better quality than with TMPGEnc. If there are specific problems in any scenes, you can try to ajust their GOP structure by hand (with the "Set picture type" option), but in 99% of cases there's no need.

Note that, with a maximum bitrate of 9200, you may have some problems in older players. It should play fine in all recent players and on any computer, though. If you lower the minimum bitrate (ex., to 0), you'll give the encoder a bit more room for optimisation, but again, it may cause some problems with older players.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: