dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aliasing Text in Sonic ReelDVD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luke S

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr 2005, 18:53    Post subject: Aliasing Text in Sonic ReelDVD Reply with quote

Ok. I prefer DVD Studio on Mac but since I use an Avid editing system on a Windows computer at work I have been using Sonic Reel DVD for a project.

When authoring with DVD Studio I can add color information in my button overlays to black, white and 2 shades of grey. This allows me to define overlay colors to anti-aliased text (which is black and shades of grey) and with a little tweaking of the opacity settings I can get nice looking anti-aliased buttons and overlays.

In Reel DVD I can only add color information to black or white. Any shades of grey created by anti-aliasing the text in Photoshop are defined as black, giving my buttons blocky edges. The documentation says to leave the text aliased in Photoshop, which gives me blocky edges, though not as bad as text that has been antialiased.

Does anyone know a work around this? Are sepcific fonts better in this situation? Font sizes?

Thanks,
Luke.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr 2005, 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

The overlay is (per DVD spec) a 4-colour image, but if ReelDVD converts all non-background colours to the same colour, there really isn't a lot you can do about it.

Since the other two colours are traditionally pure blue and pure red, you could try replacing the two intermediate gray tones with blue and red, and see if ReelDVD leaves them untouched. If it does, you might then be able to change them inside ReelDVD. I've only played with ReelDVD for a few hours, and it was years ago, so I really have no idea if this works.

If you look at most commercial DVDs, they avoid having "curved" olverlays, precisely because several programs have this problem.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Authoring All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: