dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calculator - 8.5 GB or 7.95 GB...?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Switch

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun 2005, 2:43    Post subject: Calculator - 8.5 GB or 7.95 GB...? Reply with quote

I have now been doing video projects designed for double layer discs. When using your calculator, the Media Size selection indicates the double layer disc holds 7.95GB and I assume makes computations based on that. However, the disc itself is labeled as 8.5GB, and TMPGenc DVD Author seems to think that way, too, though TMPGenc Plus agrees with you. What's the real amount the disc can hold, and is your calculator set up for that amount?
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun 2005, 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

When measuring the size of media (hard disks, optical discs, etc.), manufacturers typically consider that 1 kB = 1000 bytes, 1 MB = 1000 kB, 1 GB = 1000 MB, and so on. When measuring RAM, 1 kB = 1024 bytes, and so on. Most software measures file size using the 1024 factor. So a disc that has 8.5 "storage" GB actually has 8,547,993,600 bytes, which is equivalent to 7.95 "file" GB (actually, 7.96, but a little bit of that is lost to the file system tables, etc., so 7.95 is a safer value to use).

Note that some sites list the size as 7.92 or 7.91 GB because they assume the disc has exactly 8,500,000,000 bytes, which is incorrect.

Since my calculator is used to calculate the size of the resulting files, I've chosen to use a factor of 1024 in most values.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: