dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TMPGenc 2.5 vs 3.0 : pulsing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Switch

PostPosted: Thu 22 Sep 2005, 4:25    Post subject: TMPGenc 2.5 vs 3.0 : pulsing Reply with quote

I set all my settings to the highest quality possible. In this case, 8000CBR 1I 14P.

Today I tried to encode some video in 2.5. While it turned out a bit darker than I was hoping, it looked great otherwise.

So I tried the same in 3.0 knowing that it's known for lightening the video up a bit. It, too, looked great, but a strange pulsating effect was clearly visible. The pulsing seems to correspond with where the I pictures are located. Funny how that doesn't happen in 2.5.

The motion isn't fast or anything, but it is an old camcorder video from the mid 80s so there's a fair bit of video noise. Should I try using some B pictures? Video noise reduction didn't help at all.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 23 Sep 2005, 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMPGEnc Xpress is called "3.0" but it's actually not based on TMPGEnc 2.5, as far as I can tell, so it doesn't surprise me that it has some bugs not found on 2.5.

Using B-pictures might disguise the problem, by introducing a faster flickering rate, but it probably won't get rid of it completely. My advice would be to contact Pegasys about the problem and, meanwhile, continue to use TMPGEnc 2.5 (non-Xpress).

RMN
~~~
Switch

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep 2005, 3:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I notice the pulsation in the video created with 2.5 as well. Again, it seems to pulse right where the I pictures are. It's like by the time the GOP has reached the 14th P it has degraded too much, so when the next I frame comes around it snaps back to what it should be. Question

Edit: I did some research on the net. I found limited information, but I did find one place that calls what I am experiencing "grain pulsing."

I did try the "Standard" GOP setting which does 1I 5P 2B and it does mask the effect better. Still, for a CBR of 7400 everything here tells me I should shoot for no B pictures and long GOPs.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep 2005, 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technics wrote:
Actually, I notice the pulsation in the video created with 2.5 as well. Again, it seems to pulse right where the I pictures are. It's like by the time the GOP has reached the 14th P it has degraded too much, so when the next I frame comes around it snaps back to what it should be.

Or possibly the other way around. I would expect that, after 14 P-pictures, with stills or reasonably slow motion, you actually have better image quality (better in the sense that it's closer to the original) than right after an I-picture (because P-pictures can actually refine the image beyond what a single I-picture can show, due to the frame size limit). Make sure the VBV buffer size is set to 224 (the official DVD limit), a lower value could make a bigger difference to the grain.

Also, try using shorter GOPs (ex., I=1, P=4, B=0). This will probably cause a slight loss of detail, but most small detail is probably grain anyway.

Finally, if the clips you are encoding were originally shot on film, and later converted to video, it's possible that you will have some "temporal pulsing", caused by the frame rate conversion. Play the original tape and advance frame by frame, to see if there are ever two identical frames in a row. If that's the case, it's not something you can solve easily.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: