dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVD audio formats

View previous topic :: View next topic  
royalbox

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2003, 15:07    Post subject: DVD audio formats Reply with quote

Is a mono PCM file allowed as part of the DVD standard? How about no audio file at all? I encoded a video with a mono audio track and authored it to DVD. When I played it back on my computer there was no audio. I converted the WAV file to 2 channels, tried again, and it played alright.

I'm also copying some old 8mm cine films in order to put them on DVD, and they have no audio. I wondered whether I need to waste disk space and have a silent audio file, or whether you are allowed to have no file at all. I want the discs to be within the DVD standard.

Great forum this, but I can't stop asking questions!
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2003, 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure mono PCM is allowed (mono AC3 is legal, so PCM should be, too), but I've read that some authoring programs have problems with it. If you have more than one authoring program (even a demo), try it on the other one and see if it works. Having no sound is perfectly legal, and I think will work with any authoring program (I've made lots of video-only DVDs).

RMN
~~~
royalbox

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2003, 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RMN.

I've only tried it with the demo of TMPGEnc DVD Author which didn't play the mono audio. I'm going to have to try a few other programs I think. I only received my DVD writer today and have a player on order so I'm really just getting into this, though I've been reading-up on it for some time. I really want to make DVDs that are as standard as possible.

I've just been reading on 'vcdhelp' about problems some people are having burning with nero. It seems that what works for some doesn't for others. I'd really like to get things right before I start converting all my stuff to DVD only to find they will only play on a few players. It seems like a bit of a nightmare at the moment with regards to compatibility.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2003, 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can expect the discs to be compatible with about 80% of recent players if you use DVD-R, about 70% if you use DVD+R and about 40% if you use -RW or +RW. It gets worse with older players (over 2 years old). In my experience, Pioneer players have the best compatibility with recordable DVD (especially -R and -RW). The media is also important. Most brand-name media is good, but some no-name discs have problems. Even with good media (Maxell, Pioneer, Sony, etc.) , expect about 2-5% of discs to have errors.

I've had some problems recording video DVDs with Nero in the past. Your DVD recorder should come with a data recording program such as PrimoDVD or InstantDVD, that should be able to record Title Set folders correctly (the files have to be recorded in a specific order to work on normal DVD players). Also, most authoring programs have an option to record directly, or to create an image file that will work with any program (including Nero). For data DVDs, any program that recognises your DVD recorder should work.

RMN
~~~
royalbox

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2003, 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say I'm a bit concerned about those figures. I just ordered a Yamaha NS330 player which is a new model as far as I can tell, but it seems like it's a bit of a gamble whether it will play my disks or not. It doesn't seem right that they say it will play all the different formats in their adverts, yet they may not be able to. I ordered it online so there's probably no chance of an exchange.

As for the disks, I ordered them from lynx which is quite recommended here in the UK.
My recorder came without any software as it is an OEM version.
I have studio 8 which can record to DVD but their forums are so full of problems with this that I don't even think I'll chance it.
Thanks for helping me yet again RMN.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2003, 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

The compatibility problems are not always a "technical" issue. Quite often, it's a commercial issue.

You'll find, for example, that some old Pioneer players have no problems reading DVD+R or DVD-R discs, then some models came out that only read DVD-R, and later ones read both formats again.

The models that only read the -R format correspond to a period when there was a little "war" between formats (with Pioneer supporting -R, and Sony and Philips supporting +R). Some Sony players also refuse -R discs, despite the fact that older models could read them perfectly.

That seems to be pretty much over now, and the very latest models should all read the +R and -R formats correctly (although, of course, a lot of models that were designed in that period are still being sold today). Many players still can't read the RW formats, but since R media is cheaper than RW media, this isn't a big problem.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Authoring All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: