dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MPEG Decisions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
erivas

PostPosted: Tue 28 Feb 2006, 18:34    Post subject: MPEG Decisions Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

I am writing to ask what is the best encoding for a DVD production. I have been having problems on a project. I shoot the orginal jewelry product on Canon XL2 with a Leica lens and get great quality and detail. When I go through the DVD authoring process I end up with blown out detail and am thinking thet it has to do with compression somewhere. I have tried both MPEG-2 and uncompressed and using Apple's DVD Studio Pro. Do you have any recomendations? There is some improvement with uncompressed, but not as good quality as the original.

Thank you very much... Ernesto
erivas

PostPosted: Tue 28 Feb 2006, 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I shot all this in 24P... Ernesto
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue 28 Feb 2006, 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

A DVD cannot be uncompressed, and your source is DV, so converting it to uncompressed video will only make the files bigger. Always edit in the native format (DV) until the video is finished. When it's finished, convert it to MPEG-2, for DVD authoring.

Bear in mind that DVD is a format meant to compete with VHS. It's a home video distribution format, it is not a professional / broadcast or even semi-professional format. The quality will never be as good as the original DV, but it can be pretty close, if you use a good encoder with appropriate settings.

I am not familiar with the MPEG compressor included with DVD Studio Pro, but you can use my TMPGEnc guide to get an idea of what each setting does. If you are unable to get good quality with DVD Studio Pro's built-in encoder, I would suggest trying different encoders. As long as they produce a DVD-compliant MPEG-2 video file, you should be able to load that file into DVD Studio Pro without recompressing.

Remember to check the quality of the DVDs on a set-top player, connected to a video monitor or TV set. Previewing on the computer monitor is not very reliable. Use RW discs until you are happy with the result, to avoid wasting media.

If this is an important project and you are new to DVD authoring, it's probably best to hire professional services (you deliver the video in DV format, and they create the DVD).

RMN
~~~
erivas

PostPosted: Wed 1 Mar 2006, 20:04    Post subject: Compression Reply with quote

Thank you for your response. Apple DVD Studio Pro comes bundled with Compressor 2. I will check your link to make sure we are properly setting compressor correctly for the highest quality.

Is there a differnce between software and hardware compressors? Also, is there a high-end DVD authoring solution/compresor you may suggest.

Thank you very much... Ernesto
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed 1 Mar 2006, 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardware compressors are usually optimised for speed. They can compress in real-time (ex., from a camera input), but they cannot make multiple passes to improve the quality. If you want quality, stick to software compressors.

TMPGEnc and CinemaCraft are generally considered as the two encoders with highest quality, although many others are nearly as good.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: