dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slow Motion clips stuttering on playback

View previous topic :: View next topic  
df0132

PostPosted: Thu 20 Apr 2006, 21:08    Post subject: Slow Motion clips stuttering on playback Reply with quote

I use Premiere 6.0 to edit avi files then I use the frameserver Avisynth and TMPGenc to encode the clip and then finally IfoEdit to convert to
DVD.

In the past I have had no problem producing average quality DVD's but I have recently made a clip in Premiere and in this clip I play some parts in slow motion. 15% of normal speed.

In Premiere it plays fine (nice and smooth) but when I encode it with TMPGenc the slow motion scenes play back like a stutter ...(not smooth).
The other clips set at normal speed play fine.

I have dubbed mp3 music with the clip and this seems to playback fine.

I have tried playing around different bitrates with no luck...this is where my knowledge hits the wall.

any suggestions as to what might be causing such a problem?

any help greatly appreciated!!

regards
daryl
(i haven't included settings in this post but can supply if needed)
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2006, 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a clip is slowed down without proper deinterlacing, it will seem to jump back and forth when played back at full resolution, on an interlaced display (like a TV set or video monitor).

My guess is you're not using an external "real" video monitor while editing, right? It probably seems to play back fine in Premiere because the Premiere preview window is only showing you one of the fields.

When you do slow motion, you need to make sure Premiere is set to the correct field order (in the project's settings), and you need to make sure the clip has "deinterlace when speed is under 100%" checked, in the field options (or maybe it's in the "frame hold" options, I always get those two mixed up; also, enabling frame blending might improve the quality of the slow motion itself).

If you're sure the field order is correct (probably "lower field first", if your source is DV), and the "deinterlace when speed is under 100%" is checked, but it still jumps back and forth, enable "always deinterlace" in the slow-motion clips' field options.

RMN
~~~
df0132

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2006, 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RMN

Spot on...thanks!...your advice was great.!

I had the bottom field first as I am using DV but I had no idea the other options existed (limited premiere knowledge) and selecting the options you mentioned fixed it.

Thanks again
daryl
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat 22 Apr 2006, 5:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's odd you had to set them manually; I think version 6.0 has "deinterlace when speed is under 100%" enabled on new clips by default. Maybe it's only in 6.5. Anyway, glad it worked.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: