dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lighting Question for Pale Presenter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerard V

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jun 2006, 4:46    Post subject: Lighting Question for Pale Presenter Reply with quote

I have always been pale (people have often asked me if I am well). I have noticed that when we video a show, I look ghostly and when the DV is played back on TV my face is often washed out completely, whereas other people I might be standing next to appear relatively normal. Other than applying stage makeup, are there any useful suggestions regarding lighting that might produce a better result on the DV camera. We're using a Sony FX1E camera, and white stage lights at present. Backgrounds are usually stage curtains (red or black).
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jun 2006, 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the problems with pale colours is that they're harder to isolate and manipulate in post-production. It's easy to turn yellow into red, but it's not so easy to turn white (or gray) into pink, for example.

You could use slightly red or orange light (lower colour temperature), and underxpose the image slighty on the camera, but that will naturally affect the tone of the rest of the elements in the image.

Also, human skin isn't exactly opaque; it's slightly translucent, like wax, so even people with darker skin end up looking a bit strange under strong studio lights. Bounced or diffuse light works better (ex., if you're sitting at a desk, cover the top of the desk with red or orange bristol board and aim a secondary light at it) but it's still not perfect, especially for lighter skins (and it's hard to control if people move around).

So the only effective solution is makeup, that will make the skin opaque and allow better control over its colour. Most TV presenters (or film stars, etc.) need a lot of makeup just to look "natural" under (strong) artificial lighting, mainly due to the skin's translucency, not so much the colour.

RMN
~~~
Gerard V

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jun 2006, 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnaks rmn

You have kinda confirmed what I suspected. We'll play about with the lighting next time, some gels, and we'll try the slightly underexposed camera trick.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Shooting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: