dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trouble doing PAL>NTSC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Switch

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul 2006, 15:06    Post subject: Trouble doing PAL>NTSC Reply with quote

I'm tring to convert a PAL DVD into NTSC. Normally this isn't a problem, but this time the PAL DVD is widescreen and that seem to be throwing off the outcome.

I set Source Aspect Ratio as "16:9 625 line (PAL)." Video arrange method "Full screen (keep aspect ratio)" (any other setting seems to really jack it up) and final video stream setting as "16:9 NTSC."

In the final product, the tops and sides of the video are cut off compared to the original. It displays correctly in widescreen and all, but it seems to be being cropped on all sides.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to choose "Full screen (keep aspect ratio 2)"? The pop-up hints are very unclear on what exactly the difference is.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul 2006, 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you doing all the conversion in TMPGEnc? Have you watched the result on a TV set?

From what I remember, TMPGEnc screws up the interlacing when converting PAL to NTSC, or vice-versa (it tries to resize both fields at the same time, instead of doing them separately and then reinterlacing). That might have been fixed in later versions, though, I haven't done it recently.

When you day some settings "jack it up", is that what you mean? Interlacing problems?

As long as you're not trying to change the aspect ratio, you should be able to get everything right simply by selecting "16:9 Display" as the output aspect ratio and "Full Screen" as the video arrange method (set source aspect ratio to "16:9 Display" or "1:1", it should produce the same result).

If you're getting interlacing problems, I would suggest doing the PAL -> NTSC conversion somewhere else (there are some utilities just for that, or you can do it in an editing or compositing program), and feeding TMPGEnc a file that's correctly interlaced for your target format.

RMN
~~~
Switch

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul 2006, 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the interlacing is fine, it just seems TMPGEnc is cropping all around the picture.

Today I tried the "Full Screen (keep aspect ratio 2)" setting, and it got the job done perfectly. Actually, there's very slight black bars on the sides of the screen, but that's about it. I have no idea why this setting worked why others did not. Confused
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jul 2006, 2:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use the "16:9 Display" mode, with the arrange method set to "Full screen" (without "keep aspect ratio"). That will simply resize the image to the new resolution, without trying to do anything "smart" about the aspect ratio.

BTW, why are you converting to NTSC in the first place? 99% of players will read both formats, these days, and the conversion will make you lose about 20% of vertical resolution.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: