dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Odd going-out-of-sync problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Switch

PostPosted: Mon 8 Jan 2007, 23:01    Post subject: Odd going-out-of-sync problem Reply with quote

This one's different and it has me stumped.

I took a DVD that someone had made with a standalone burner and decided that the video could use some cleaning up.

I plugged the VOBs into DVD2AVI and separated out the audio, ending up with the d2v file and a 256k ac3 file.

I put the d2v into TMPGEnc 2.5+ for its noise reduction and a few other enhancements. The resulting m2v file looked fantastic.

I went into DVD Author Pro to match the m2v and ac3 files back up, add chapters and create a new DVD from it all.

The problem is that though the audio starts out in perfect sync, as the video goes along (it is 65 minutes total) the sound slowly goes out of sync. By the end it is about maybe a half second off!

What happened? Did reencoding the video magically add or drop enough milliseconds of time to accumulate cause this problem? It was VBR before, and I used CBR for the reencode. Something with the I/P/Bs? What an odd problem!
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jan 2007, 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the frame rate of the D2V? And what were the lengths of the AVI and the D2V files?

Assuming you're using NTSC, the most likely problem is that some program(s) along the way assumed the time base was 30 fps when in fact it was 29.97, or vice-versa.

You might need to adjust the frame rate in TMPGEnc and / or select "no frame rate conversion" (in the filters section).

RMN
~~~
Switch

PostPosted: Thu 11 Jan 2007, 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am only using DVD2AVI and TMPGEnc. I am not sure if you are familiar with how to use DVD2AVI to get the information to plug into TMPGEnc, but that is all I did, no AVI file was involved. TMPGEnc 2.5 does not accept straight VOB files the way 3.0 and up do, but if you have a better way to do it you have my attention. Surprised

I will check on the lengths and frame rates, etc.
Switch

PostPosted: Thu 11 Jan 2007, 3:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVD2AVI reports the original VOBs's frame rate is 29.970. This was the setting I used in TMPGEnc previously in the Video Stream settings.
What is odd is the text info file included as part of the DVD says "Frame Rate: 30.00," so I guess I will give it another shot with the "no frame rate conversion" setting you suggest. I am not sure why DVD2AVI would report a bogus frame rate, though. Confused
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu 11 Jan 2007, 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switch wrote:
I am only using DVD2AVI and TMPGEnc. I am not sure if you are familiar with how to use DVD2AVI to get the information to plug into TMPGEnc, but that is all I did, no AVI file was involved.

I meant the AC3 file. Compare the length of the two.

RMN
~~~
Switch

PostPosted: Thu 11 Jan 2007, 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AC3 file says it is three seconds longer than the original m2v file I ended up with.

I reencoded with TMPGEnc with the frame rate set at 30fps and "no frame rate conversion" selected. I again went to DVD Author Pro to try to make a DVD, and it will not accept the m2v file because it is not NTSC (29.97) standard. So I guess I am out of luck and will have to allow TMPGEnc to do a frame rate conversion?

I'm not entirely convinced the original DVD is 30fps, really. If I use Source Wizard in DVD Author and bring in the original DVD as-is, it loads it up properly and says it is 29.97. I wonder if DVD2AVI is somehow not extracting the ac3 file correctly?
Switch

PostPosted: Thu 11 Jan 2007, 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I tried now: I used DVD Shrink to make the DVD into one giant VOB file. I then plugged the VOB into TMPGEnc and used simple de-multiplex to extract the ac3 file.

Still does not match up.

Here's the info in the d2v file:
Quote:
Stream_Type=1,0,0
iDCT_Algorithm=5 (1:MMX 2:SSEMMX 3:FPU 4:REF 5:SSE2MMX)
YUVRGB_Scale=1 (0:TVScale 1:PCScale)
Luminance_Filter=0,0 (Gamma, Offset)
Picture_Size=0,0,0,0,0,0 (ClipLeft, ClipRight, ClipTop, ClipBottom)
Field_Operation=2 (0:None 1:ForcedFILM 2:SwapOrder)
Frame_Rate=29970
Location=0,0,0,1A004D
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan 2007, 2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you selected "no frame rate conversion", did you set the output frame rate to 29.97? If so, the file should be perfectly "legal".

Anyway, if you can't get that to work, you could try changing the duration of the the AC3 file to match the M2V (if you have any audio processing software). It will force you to reencode the sound, but it's probably better than having the sync problem.

RMN
~~~
Switch

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan 2007, 2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't that have happened the very first time? The first time I encoded the video I had everything set "legal."

I guess it will come down to reencoding the ac3, but I am baffled by the sync issue.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan 2007, 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't what have happened the first time? I'm asking if, the second time, when you checked "no frame rate conversion", you set the frame rate to 29.97.

I assume that was the frame rate the first time, but then you didn't have the "no frame rate conversion" box checked.

RMN
~~~
Switch

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan 2007, 3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMN wrote:
Wouldn't what have happened the first time? I'm asking if, the second time, when you checked "no frame rate conversion", you set the frame rate to 29.97.

I assume that was the frame rate the first time, but then you didn't have the "no frame rate conversion" box checked.

Yes, the very first time I tried the encode, I had the frame rate set to 29.97 but "no frame rate conversion" was not checked. So I assumed that no matter what the source's fps was, it would have been converted to 29.97.

The second time I set the frame rate to 30fps and selected No frame rate conversion."

So should I try setting the frame rate to 29.97 and selecting no conversion? That is confusing.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jan 2007, 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. 29.97, no rate conversion. That will set the playback speed of the resulting file to 29.97 fps, but will keep the original number of frames.

If that doesn't work, then the problem is probably in the audio extraction.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Editing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: