dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! Strange video length problem!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
compusic

PostPosted: Thu 6 Dec 2007, 6:20    Post subject: Help! Strange video length problem! Reply with quote

I just discover a very strange video length problem.

The only player which can play back m2v file on my system is media player classic. but MPC shows the video's length incorecctly. for a 11 seconds video, MPC shows that it's only 9 seconds. and after MPC plays to the 9 seconds point, though the time counter in MPC stops (stops at 9 seconds), MPC will keep playing to the real end of 11 seconds. then I multiplex the m2v with a audio file to get a mpg file, now MPC shows the length of the mpg file correctly, that's 11 seconds, and playback the mpg file without any problem.

I use gspot to check both files, m2v and mpg, both have the same number of frames.

the m2v makes a big problem for me since I will import it to a music production software to produce bgm and sfx.
in the music software, the m2v file has the length property of 9 seconds, this video clip on the video track can't be longer than 9 seconds. and the whole content ( 11 seconds' content) of the m2v file will be played back in 9 seconds. but if I scrub on the timeline, the video will stop at the 9 seconds point, and the last 2 seconds can't be displayed. Don't doubt my project settings please, I'm sure the project and the m2v file have the same frame rate. btw, in the music software, I should choose the directshow video engine for video display, if choose directx video engine, the video monitor window is black. I don't know which engine MPC uses to display video.

I have import the m2v file into Premiere, the length property and playback have no problem.

I use as many methods as possible to get a m2v file, such as output by Premiere, by Final Cut Pro, multiplex then demultiplex. It seems that as far as it is a m2v file, the length problem does exist. and if it's a mpg file, the problem is gone.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec 2007, 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the problem is either in the file headers or in the M2V decoder installed in your system. Where did the original M2V file come from?

Also, why are you using a MPEG-2 video-only file in audio software? If you're using it just for reference, why don't you use an AVI, MOV or MPEG-1 file?

RMN
~~~
compusic

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec 2007, 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the m2v file is exported by Final Cut Pro.

I know I can use other formats for reference, but I want to figure out why this happened.

It seems both the file and decoder have problem. since on my pc, another m2v file doesn't have this problem.

and I have tried the m2v w/problem on other pcs, no problem occurs.

strange!!!???
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec 2007, 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the problem happens only on one PC, then the problem isn't in the file. It probably has something to do with the MPEG-2 video decoder(s) installed in your system.

Have you tried installing a different MPEG-2 decoder (ex., FFDShow)?

Note that some versions of FFDShow will cause conflicts with Adobe Premiere on non-american version of Windows (apparently this has something to do with the "system locale" - Premiere becomes confused when some numbers are in the format "123.45" and others "123,45", and for some reason FFDShow triggers this).

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: