dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

trouble converting xvid file to mpeg2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hellboy

PostPosted: Sun 25 May 2003, 11:26    Post subject: trouble converting xvid file to mpeg2 Reply with quote

Hi, here's my dilemma:

Source format - 700MB xvid file (sound embedded in file)
Destination format - MPEG2 (DVD)
TMPGEnc settings used as outlined on this dvd-hq.info site.
Playback method - any dvd player
Used virtualDub software encode the sound separate as a wav file.

Having problems in TMPGEnc trying to convert the xvid file to an MPEG-2 format. Doesn't seem to be processing every frame. Playback is jerky. It's holding frames and skipping the ones inbetween.

So I tried using virtualDub to convert a small frame range of the xvid to an uncompressed avi file that TMPGEnc can then convert to MPEG-2. This worked fine. Only when I tried doing the entire xvid file the estimated file size for the uncompressed avi was slightly over 60 GIGs and would take 19 hours to convert. I can bite the bullet and do this, but I'm afraid the avi file won't be readable since it'll be larger than 2 GIGS.

In short, I need help converting xvid to mpeg2 successfully.

btw this site is really well organized and informative.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun 25 May 2003, 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xvid and DivX AVIs often have problems. I think their internal structure isn't totally standard, and some programs choke on it. Two things to try:

1. In TMPGEnc, go to the "Environmental settings", then to the "VFAPI plug-in" tab, and increase the priority of the Directshow reader (make it the first in the list). Then try opening the AVI again. This improves compatibility with some AVI formats (namely MPEG-4 based formats), and worsens compatibility with others (so remember to set the priority back afterwards, or some more "normal" AVIs won't load).

2. If you have Premiere or Media Studio try loading the AVI into it and exporting through a frameserver (as described in this guide).

RMN
~~~
hellboy

PostPosted: Mon 26 May 2003, 7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! The first option did the trick. That's all it took.

The second option however was problematic since Premiere can't seem to read the xvid file at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: