dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TMPGENC Problems - blocks / image corruption
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henry

PostPosted: Fri 16 May 2003, 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMN,

Thx for your help. Yes, I am aware of my CPU is getting hot. In fact, my Althon 1G CPU always caused PC hang when temperature over 40 celsius under Win ME platform. After I installed Win XP platform and CPUCOOL (a software to lower CPU temperature), the temperature remains 3x celsius and system becomes stable. I will not buy AMD CPU anymore and will only buy Intel in the future (though I have not decided to buy a new PC at this moment). Mad

Anyway, I will try to test everything in order to identify the root cause. I think I should overcome this. The most worst case is to bring the AVI file to another PC for MPEG2 conversion. Razz
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 16 May 2003, 2:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPUs get hot mainly for three reasons:

1. Poor case ventilation. It's no use having a huge fan on the CPU if the air inside the case is hot; you can't cool something with hot air.

2. Bad CPU cooler. Some CPU coolers are jut too small, badly designed, or have a very weak fan. Generally, copper coolers are better than aluminum coolers. There's a huge comparison of coolers here.

3. Bad contact between the cooler and the CPU. There should always be thermal paste or thermal compound between the CPU and the bottom of the cooler; if there's any air between the two, it will act as a thermal insulant, and will not allow the heat from CPU to be transferred to the cooler.

Contrary to what many people think, the most common cause of overheating is the first point in the list above (poor case ventilation).

Also contrary to what many people think, Intel CPUs are not much cooler than AMD CPUs; models of similar speed produce about the same amount of heat. The difference is recent Intel models automatically slow down if they get too hot, so people don't notice the CPU is oveheating (they do notice it's terribly slow).

Personally, I consider AMD CPUs to be a much better deal right now. For the same speed they're cheaper, and for the same price they're faster. Couple a "Barton" Athlon XP (ex., the XP 2500+) with a dual-channel motherboard (ex., any motherboard that uses the nForce2 chipset) and you have a great system at a very affordable price.

Video encoding is actually one of the Pentium's strong points, so if you'll be doing mainly video encoding, a P4 might be a good choice. But for general computer use and for complex calculations (such as 3D rendering), AMD is the way to go. Possibly even more so in September, when the Athlon 64 is released (if it's not too expensive).

If your problem is CPU overheating, you can probably solve it by leaving your computer case open, or by adding an 80 mm fan to the case. But both AMD and Intel CPUs should work perfectly up to 80º C or so. 40º C is actually cooler than most Athlon / P4 CPUs normally run at (normal temperature under load is 45-65º C).

RMN
~~~
Henry

PostPosted: Tue 27 May 2003, 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMN,

I have finally broken through the problem!

I used another PC to do the conversion for my AVI file. Afterwards, I go back to my PC and adopt Ulead MovieFactory 2 to make DVD from the resulted MPEG2 file. However, the block problem still occurs in the DVD and/or VOB file. I feel frustrated, (but luckily), and use Nero to make DVD. The Nero's DVD is eventually perfect. Hence, let me summarise my successful conversion as follows:
- Capture AVI file from Sony DV using Ulead VS 7.0 (in my PC)
- Convert AVI to MPEG2 file using TMPGEn (in other PC)
- Make VOB files from the converted MPEG2 file (in my PC)
- Burn VOB files into the DVD using Nero (in my PC)

Although the procedure is complicated, at least I can make a DVD with my satisfcation. Anyway, thanks a lot for your help and advice. Smile
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue 27 May 2003, 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get file corruption with the Ulead program even with a file encoded on another system, that would indicate that the Ulead program is re-compressing the file (this is bad - even without the errors, it would cause a loss in quality). I believe Movie Factory has an option to skip recompression. If you check that option, it should use the original (uncorrupted) data.

Anyway, this is a temporary workaround, but there's clearly some problem in your system (either the motherboard's memory controller or the CPU). You should try to fix it before some system files become corrupted and you're unable to boot at all.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: