dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVD player used to play burned DVD, not anymore...why?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
puddinbabe

PostPosted: Wed 4 Jun 2003, 7:43    Post subject: DVD player used to play burned DVD, not anymore...why? Reply with quote

I swear I have burned 10 DVDs on this project I am working on. After each one is finished, I pop it in my home DVD player, and the sound isn't quite right. With each newly burned DVD, the sound gets worse, and the picture starts to freeze more and more. Now its just a jumpy image with no sound at all.

I am even playing DVDs I was able to play last week (homemade)don't work either. They do initially load though.

Does anyone have any idea what has happened?

The player still works fine with "purchased" DVDs, just not with anything burned on my computer. My computer will play the DVDs just fine.

DVD player: SMC DVD-330S (able to play mp3s)
disks: Verbatim +R, purple lable, 4.7GB

I'm really going crazy here. I've thought all this time my burner was acting up.

Thanks ahead for any insight into this problem...

Annie C
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed 4 Jun 2003, 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVD-/+R are less reflective than industrial DVDs, so if there's a problem with the laser on your player, it's likely to start manifesting itself with recordable discs. Sometimes heat can also cause read errors. Some players make the discs very hot and some discs may dilate as a consequence.

I would suggest trying your recordable discs on other players, to determine if there is something wrong with them or if the problem is only in the player. Make sure you play them for long enough to let both the player and the discs get hot.

If it turns out to be a heat / media issue (and not a problem with the player), try a different brand of recordable discs. I've never tried Verbatim DVDs. I did have problems with Verbatim CDs but this was a long time ago, so presumably their fabrication has improved.

I use mostly Maxell and Pioneer DVD-R discs (I don't think Pioneer makes +R, but Maxell does). I've also used Sony and Memorex with good results.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Recording All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: