dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

source aspect ratio confusion???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a

PostPosted: Sun 8 Jun 2003, 7:19    Post subject: source aspect ratio confusion??? Reply with quote

Hi

I always render an uncompressed lower field AVI file out off my After Effects to be encoded in TMPGEnc. The composition settings in AE are standard PAL D1/DV, 720x576.
When I later import the file in TMPGEnc using the "Project Wizard" it say it's a "4:3 625 line (PAL 704x576)" file!!!??? is this a bug or I'm I missing something.. I have so far switched to the “4:3” setting and everything looks fine to me… But I want to be sure..

I thought I was creating a 720x576 file from AE???

What is the difference between the 3 different 4:3 settings
1. 4:3 625 line (PAL 704x576)
2. 4:3 625 line
3. 4:3

Can anybody please clarify this confusion...?
Many Thanks
/a
royalbox

PostPosted: Sun 8 Jun 2003, 9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

@a
I had the same question, have a look here.

@rmn
I see I forgot to say thanks for your last reply in that post, sorry about that.
a

PostPosted: Sun 8 Jun 2003, 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks

Reading the earlyer post just tells me that the error in TMPGEnc still remains, I got the latest version. Downloaded in May...

am I correct asuming my file is 625 lines?

/a
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun 8 Jun 2003, 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly. 625-line is just the broadcast standard. The digital file only includes the visible lines (the rest are added during playback). Anyway, the height of the image is fixed, so you don't need to worry about that.

The issue here is the width.

The differences between 704 and 720 pixel wide images are a big mess. Theoretically, the visible image should be 704 pixels wide, and the extra pixels on the edges of the image should never be shown. In practical terms, some (most) programs show them, some don't. This causes some images that should have an aspect ratio of 4:3 to actually be displayed with an aspect ratio of 4.01:3 or 3.9:3 (hardly noticeable, luckily).

The best way to ensure that TMPGEnc doesn't resize your file (which would make it take longer) is to select "4:3 Display" for both the source and the destination, and "Center" for the arrange method (as long as the arrange method is "Center", the image will not be resized).

Instead of using the wizard, use the full ("expert") interface; it lets you adjust every setting manually, and that way you can be sure TMPGEnc didn't make any mistakes in its auto-detection.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: