dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jerky playback with PowerDVD from DVDWorkshop

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcarr

PostPosted: Mon 2 Jun 2003, 7:11    Post subject: Jerky playback with PowerDVD from DVDWorkshop Reply with quote

I have produced many DVDs (2 hour + multi camera concerts and shows) using Pinnalcle Studio7, TMPGEnc Plus 2.512 and Ulead DVD Workshop 1.3.

I get a problem that I thought I had solved three projects ago (by carefully re-creating the TMPGEnc settings for the latest version) but has re-occurred in my latest project and I haven’t found a solution yet.

The problem is that DVD files (VOB etc) play smoothly in DVD players and using WinDVD4 but with PowerDVD (from hard drive or DVD, on two different computers, using V3 or V4 with XP patch) I get pauses (actually I think they are rush-aheads) then catchups (pause can be 3 seconds long) in the video (not audio) at seemingly random positions (but the same positions every time).

The MPEG file plays fine.

If I author the same MPEG with TMPGAutor the resulting VOB files play fine (the are slightly different size).

If I read the VOB files created by DVDWorkshop back into TMPGauthor as a source and create a new DVD project the result also plays fine.

I have tried many different combinations of TMPGenc settings (video only / video & audio, encoding qualities, bitrate ranges, GOP structures, GOP open / closed, Scene detection on/off) and while I do see differences in the problem (more or less pausing at different places) nothing has cured it.

I did try a short test with Dazzle DVD Complete but it gave exactly the same result as DVD Workshop.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than use TMPGauthor – which I will use for this project but I don’t want to lose the menu flexibility and functionality of DVD Workshop for which I paid a significant amount.

I will feed this back to Ulead but experience suggests I’ll be lucky to get a response.

Thanks
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon 2 Jun 2003, 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if the discs play correctly on set-top players, this looks more like a bug in PowerDVD than in DVD Workshop.

RMN
~~~
jcarr

PostPosted: Tue 3 Jun 2003, 7:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fo rthe reply

Yes I agree but it is obviously possible to produce a VOB that will play smoothly in PowerDVD (as evidenced by the TPMGAuthor experiment) from the same MPEG file.

Since I distribute copies to many people I would prefer a solution that only involves me making changes rather than insisting on the recipients having a particular player or version.
a

PostPosted: Tue 3 Jun 2003, 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm using my new Mac for the authoring and first I thought it was a Mac/PC compability problem when I first saw my DVD Studio Pro authored DVD's played on a PC using PowerDVD.

It looked like it was jumping ahead like you described your problem.
The Mpeg2 files are created with TMPGEnc latest version.

On my Pioneer DVD set top box it looks perfect.

Strange problem!!! I used MyDVD before but my menus looked like shit and after starting using DVD Studio Pro everything looks very good, except on my PC.... using PowerDVD...

I can't help you but at least now you know that your not alone Very Happy

/a
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue 3 Jun 2003, 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you should contact Cyberlink (makers of PowerDVD) to see if they are aware of that problem (and offer to send them a sample file so they can fix it in the next version).

RMN
~~~
jcarr

PostPosted: Thu 5 Jun 2003, 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I am pursuing this issue with both Ulead and PowerDVD but I suspect any resolution from these will be a long time coming.

I have downloaded the free version of BitrateView and analysed the VOB files produced (from the same MPEG) by DVDWorkshop and TMPGAuthor.

I don't understand what the analysis means but there is a significant difference. The bitrate traces are fairly similar and I don't see any spikes but the quantisation scale level varies very much more in the Ulead VOB. Whether this means anything I don't know.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 6 Jun 2003, 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's odd. That seems to suggest that the Ulead software is recompressing the MPEG stream. I believe Ulead's DVD authoring programs have an option to disable recompression; make sure it's selected.

RMN
~~~
jcarr

PostPosted: Mon 9 Jun 2003, 7:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have learned to use Bitrateview better I discover I was fooling myself and the two VOB files do display identical bitrate and quantisation traces.

There must be some difference though as the file sizes are different and they play differently (the original cause of the investigation)

I definitely do check the "do not re-compress compatible files" box since it only takes 20 min to produce the VOB files I'm sure DVD Workshop is not re-processing. (after waiting 24 hours for TMPGEnc to create the 2.5 hour MPEG I am very keen that nothing subsequently messes with it)

I have just head that there is a new version of PowerDVD (V5) on the horizon - maybe this will help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Authoring All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: