dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what is the best encoding setting?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alban

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jun 2003, 12:34    Post subject: what is the best encoding setting? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I am just testing a series of settings with a 130 sec avi-file. I want to put avi-files of 57min, 66min, 72min, 113min and 122min on DVD. I use the calulator of this page to give me an idea what setting to use. Do I just go with the calulated suggestion?

The video consists only of a guy sitting in front of two cameras, one front and one right. So he is seen through one of them maybe for 3 or 5 minute segments, then the other camera takes over. Soft blend is used for mixing. The Intro consists mainly of text (appearing and disappearing) in front of images of slowly moving clouds, starfiels etc. In the main part of the video the guy is talking. He is seen with his upper body and hands gesticulating. This scene is followed by srolls of text in front of a little sequence of a movement through space with stars and galaxies and nebulas. Some of the videos have subtitels in a blue box, some don't. So there sould not be to much movement.

Now, what would be the best setting? Do I have to do a wide range of tests or can you help me from your own experience?

Thank you very much.
Alban
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jun 2003, 20:16    Post subject: Re: what is the best encoding setting? Reply with quote

Alban wrote:

I am just testing a series of settings with a 130 sec avi-file. I want to put avi-files of 57min, 66min, 72min, 113min and 122min on DVD. I use the calulator of this page to give me an idea what setting to use. Do I just go with the calulated suggestion?

As far as the bitrate goes, yes. For the GOP, you may want to adjust based on the type of footage (if there is a lot of fast motion, use shorter GOPs, if the motion is relatively slow, use longer GOPs).

Alban wrote:

The video consists only of a guy sitting in front of two cameras, one front and one right. So he is seen through one of them maybe for 3 or 5 minute segments, then the other camera takes over. Soft blend is used for mixing.

That sounds like there isn't a lot of action, so a GOP with 10 to 15 frames should be fine. For the shorter files, you can use something like I=1, P=12, B=0. For the longer files, you may get better quality overall if you use some B-pictures (ex., I=1, P=7, B=1).

Alban wrote:

This scene is followed by srolls of text in front of a little sequence of a movement through space with stars and galaxies and nebulas.

That kind of small detail may suffer a bit at low bitrates. But if you really must put 120 minutes of video in a single DVD, there isn't a lot you can do about that. Just make sure you use 2-pass VBR; CBR will produce pretty bad results on such long videos. Also, make sure you enable the option to "detect scene change", so TMPGEnc will automatically insert an I-picture when it's necessary to improve quality.

RMN
~~~

Last edited by RMN on Tue 8 Jul 2003, 14:49; edited 1 time in total
Alban

PostPosted: Mon 7 Jul 2003, 21:36    Post subject: Re: what is the best encoding setting? Reply with quote

Thank you for answering me.

[quote="rmn"] But if you really must put 120 minutes of video in a single DVD...

I was wondering, maybe it is not a good idea to put 120 minutes on one DVD. I thought the picture will not make much difference since there is not a lot movement and colour change. So I would have to burn and duplicate only one DVD for one video. I could also fit it on two DVD's. They are done in two episodes anyway. What would you do?

Kind regards,
Alban
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue 8 Jul 2003, 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, naturally, the best way to decide is to make a test. Encode the 2-hour video on your computer (using 2-pass VBR) and then play it with PowerDVD (no need to create the DVD yet, just play the MPEG-2 file). If it looks good enough for you, then use it like that. If you don't like the quality, divide it in two. Personally, I try to avoid putting more than 90 minutes into a single recordable DVD, but if the footage is very simple, 120 minutes may still look good.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: