dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TMPGEnc encoding time error?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
royalbox

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jul 2003, 11:54    Post subject: TMPGEnc encoding time error? Reply with quote

I left an encoding session on over night -- a 2-pass vbr encoding (the 1st one I've done) -- and according to the remaining time display, it should have finished about 9 o'clock this morning. I woke up early this morning (for me!) and noticed the computer had already shut down, this being about 7 o'clock. I don't know how long it had already been off, but the file seems to have encoded all the way through ok. Is this normal?
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jul 2003, 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The estimate is based on the footage encoded so far. So if your first scenes are very complicated (small detail or a lot of motion), TMPGEnc will assume the whole video is hard to encode. When it actually reaches simpler scenes (stills, slow pans, etc.), it encodes them faster, and so it can finish before the estimated time.

The only moment where the estimate is accurate is when TMPGEnc has reached 50% (i.e., the end of the first pass), because it has already analysed the whole movie.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: