dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banny

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jul 2003, 15:57    Post subject: problems Reply with quote

I created a file in TMPGeng and it plays fine in the mpeg2 player software, but when I put it in DVDit PE I cannot open it, I cant burn it in Nero.
So can you guys helps me.
I need to get my DIVXs and VIVXs on DVD so I can play them on a standalone dvd player, I have tried all the guides and keep running into problems, I have most of the software now.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jul 2003, 3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mention which settings the file used, or the error message you get from DVDit, it's going to be hard to suggest anything. If DVDit rejects the MPEG file, that probably means some of the settings are not DVD compliant.

When you say Nero, I presume you're referring to Nero Burning ROM. Which is not an authoring program, so you won't be able to create DVDs with it (regardless of the file settings). It can record files (a title set or a DVD image) to a DVD, but you need an authoring program to compile the MPEG, the audio and the menus into a DVD project. Nerovision Express, on the other hand, is an authoring program.

Regarding DivX, personally I think that converting them to DVD is a complete waste of time and money. DivX uses MPEG-4 compression, which is much more advanced than MPEG-2. This means that, for the same bitrate, you will not be able to preserve the original quality. So either you have a high-quality DivX stream, in which case the DVD will look worse, or you have a low-quality DivX downloaded from the internet, which probably looks pretty bad to begin with and is going to look even worse after transcoding.

Add to that the fact that most DivX movies use strange resolutions, and you get very long processing times (because all frames need to be resized), low quality, and a lot of problems (because the various DivX codecs have compatibility issues).

Instead of spending money on a DVD recorder, discs, and wasting a lot of time transcoding DivX to MPEG-2, it's much simpler to get a graphics card with TV-out (nearly all cards have it, nowadays), and connect your PC to your TV. You can even get wireless transmitters so you don't need to run a long cable from your PC to your TV (in case they're in different rooms). It's cheaper, it's faster, and you end up with better quality.

RMN
~~~
Banny

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jul 2003, 6:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I do all the stuff you have to do in DVDit and when i go to build the project, I get msg that project file is to big, whatever size film it is.
BTW the project file film has already been converted to mpeg2 and the quality is good.
The reason why I want to do this is so I can go and watch my films round a friends house.
the file I played in the mpeg2 player is good quality.
the audio and video is all in snyc.
Just need to be able to get it to output onto a blank DVD.
BTW the coverted file is 4 gig. so should fit on a DVD-RW, I have tried with smaller files still get same error msg.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jul 2003, 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banny wrote:
well I do all the stuff you have to do in DVDit and when i go to build the project, I get msg that project file is to big, whatever size film it is.

Banny wrote:
BTW the coverted file is 4 gig. so should fit on a DVD-RW, I have tried with smaller files still get same error msg.

A recordable "4.7" DVD has 4.38 GB. If you entire movie (video plus audio) is under that, it should fit. In this case, that error message may be caused by some bug in DVDit (I suggest visitng the Sonic user forums and seeing if anyone knows more about it).

Remember that DVDit does not support MPEG audio, so if you included the sound in the MPEG file, DVDit is probably converting it back to PCM (which will take up 1536 Kb/s). This can easily push the project size over 4.38 GB.

DVDit PE supports AC3 (Dolby Digital compressed) audio, but it has some problems converting from MPEG audio to AC3, and that causes a significant loss in quality, so you should always use an uncompressed WAV file as the source (I mention this in my compression guide).

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: