dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Renecode an mpeg2 file with TMPGEnc.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunnysixkiller

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul 2003, 16:07    Post subject: Renecode an mpeg2 file with TMPGEnc. Reply with quote

RMN stated in another message:

Most MPEG encoders will let you use a MPEG file as the source.

I was wondering if TMPGEnc would allow me to do this?

When I try to load it, I get a "file could not open error"

I am trying to lower the bitrate, to make the file size smaller.

Thanks!

Craig
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul 2003, 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, TMPGEnc can read MPEG-1 files directly, and MPEG-2 files through DirectShow (the latest version actually includes a MPEG-2 reader, so you don't even need to go through DirectShow).

The "Load" button in TMPGEnc's window is for templates, not source files. Make sure you click on the source "Browse" button instead.

RMN
~~~
sunnysixkiller

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul 2003, 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did use browse, it says can not open or unsupported.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jul 2003, 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the latest version of TMPGEnc (which includes a MPEG-2 decoder)? Also, where was the file created?

RMN
~~~
sunnysixkiller

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jul 2003, 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using TMPGEnc version 2.523.53.162

These mpeg2 files were made via ATI's MMC.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jul 2003, 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you have version 2.523 when the last version available at TMPGEnc's and Pegasys' site is 2.520? Also, all versions above 5.513 should have a build number above 54.163, so the fact that your number ends in "53.162" suggests you actually have version 5.513 (which, I think, does not include a MPEG-2 decoder).

So try downloading the latest version (5.520).

And are those "real" MPEG-2 files or are they AVI files using MPEG-2 compression? Can you open and play those files with PowrDVD or WinDVD, for example?

RMN
~~~
Steveng

PostPosted: Tue 2 Sep 2003, 0:31    Post subject: [b]Renecode an existing mpeg2 using Tmpgenc (to reduce size Reply with quote

HI there,

I have been using the program ReMPEG2 V. 1.52 for about two years with great success, however I am having a problem now . I have edited my own movie in Adobe 6.5 then exported it as MPEG2 which creates a MPEG file of about 6 gig excluding the .wav file of 1.2GB

When I look at the MPEG files after I recompressed it in ReMPEG2 down to 3GB the MPEG plays fine but it is only 1 hour and 15 min instead of the original 1 hour and 55 min. When I look at the original Mpeg it is definitely 1hour 55 minutes just like the .wav is.

So now I decided to try out TMPGEnc using version 2.520.54.163 which seems far more complicated with all these options than ReMPEG2. I am looking for the option that will allow me to adjust the scale factor for the bit rate. So in my example above I would slide the slider down to 50% in order for my MPEG to reduce in size to 3GB from 6GB Where is the option in TMPGEnc.

Another question:

I see there is an option ES (video & audio) and system (video & audio) what the difference and will this also compress the .wav file as well as the MPEG2 file? And will it still play fine after I have burn the DVD using Impression pro

Thanks for your help Smile
-Steven
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue 2 Sep 2003, 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steveng wrote:
I am looking for the option that will allow me to adjust the scale factor for the bit rate. So in my example above I would slide the slider down to 50% in order for my MPEG to reduce in size to 3GB from 6GB Where is the option in TMPGEnc.

TMPGEnc is meant mainly as a "one-time" encoder (i.e., you supply it with the original, uncompressed movie, and it produces the final stream). It is not meant as a re-encoder (re-encoding MPEG is usually a bad idea, because the final quality is worse than if you simply encoded the original at a lower bitrate).

Having said that, it is possible to use TMPGEnc to recompress a MPEG file. But there is no option to select the new bitrate as a percentage of the original one. In fact, such an option is not very useful anyway. What you need is a way to determine what's the maximum bitrate you can use and still have the resulting file fit in your medium (ex., select the right bitrate to make the file less than 4.38 GB).

And for that you can use a bitrate calculator.

Steveng wrote:
I see there is an option ES (video & audio) and system (video & audio) what the difference

ES = elementary streams. It produces two separate files, one with the audio and one with the video. A system stream has both the audio and video data, multiplexed (interleaved) into a signle stream.

Steveng wrote:
and will this also compress the .wav file as well as the MPEG2 file?

What do you mean by "compress the WAV file"? TMPGEnc is a MPEG compressor. It compresses both audio and video to MPEG. MPEG audio is not standard on all players, though, so it's generally a good idea to leave the audio uncompressed. You can use TMPGEnc to compress the sound to MPEG-Audio format (which can be included in the .MPG / .MP2 file or in a separate .MPA / .M2A file), but some authoring programs will simply decompress it back to PCM (i.e., uncompressed), so this is just a waste of time and quality.

If you want to use compressed audio, make sure your authoring program supports MPEG Audio or AC3 (Dolby Digital). Otherwise, stick to uncompressed PCM (WAV).

RMN
~~~
Steveng

PostPosted: Tue 2 Sep 2003, 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

So what format would you recomend I export the movie from Adobe Premiere so can reduce the MPEG file to 3GB(at the current time it's about 40 avi cips in the project & if use the Matrox export function it makes a 6 gig mpeg file plus 1.2GB .wav file)?

Thanks,

-Steven
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue 2 Sep 2003, 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can either use Premiere 6.5's built-in MPEG-2 exporter (in which case you don't need TMPGEnc at all), making sure the bitrate is low enough for the result to fit in one DVD, or you can export directly from Premiere to TMPGEnc using a frameserver (as described in this guide).

In either case, use the calculator to determine the correct bitrate.

RMN
~~~
Steveng

PostPosted: Tue 2 Sep 2003, 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I did not think about changing the mpeg settings inside Adobe it's self. Definitely it is much easier to do that. Would I just go to ‘basic settings’ and change the video bitrate

or would I go to “video settings” tab then “variable bitrate”(bottom right) and change the “max” , Average and min. What is the difference between these 2 screens?

According to your calculator I would make max = 8000 average = 3450 min = 1350

Your Calculator Results based on my project in Premiere 6.5

Calculator : Settings

Source length: 120 minutes

Video format: NTC

Audio format: DVD PCM (1536 kb/s)Custom ( Kb/s)

Audio streams: 1 stream

Rate control:

Bitrate limit: Custom ( Kb/s)

Media size: 4.7 Custom ( MB)

Other assets: 0MB
Calculator : Results

Questions:

What is the difference between changing the bitrate in “basic settings or changing it the “video setting” in Adobe encoder?

It appears so much easier to just make the change in Adobe encoder to bring the MPEG file size to the right size in the Adobe encode rather than using “Frameserver” such as AVISynth (a free programor Premiere Video Server) as you suggest

Am I missing something i.e does using Frameserver give me any adavantages over using Adobe Mpeg encoder (maybe qualaty?)

Also what if I rip a dvd and say the Mpeg file is over the 4.3GB would you recommend using TMPGENC or something else? Today I have been using ReMPEG2

-Steven

[/img]
Steveng

PostPosted: Tue 2 Sep 2003, 22:58    Post subject: Not able to rip DVD's that I encoded using Adobe then burned Reply with quote

Hi,

On a separate question.

I am trying to copy 4 dvd’s that I created using Adobe Premiere awhile back. I have been using Smart Ripper for about 2 years and it works fine for ripping original movies with encryption but I can’t understand why I can’t rip my own dvd’s that I created were there is no ercryption on them.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Steven

[/img]
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed 3 Sep 2003, 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steveng wrote:
What is the difference between changing the bitrate in “basic settings or changing it the “video setting” in Adobe encoder?

I expect that changing the setting in the basic settings will change the three values (minimum, maverage and maximum). In the video settings you can adjust each setting manually.

Steveng wrote:
Am I missing something i.e does using Frameserver give me any adavantages over using Adobe Mpeg encoder (maybe qualaty?)

The frameserver itself is just an intermediary between Premiere and TMPGEnc (it's TMPGEnc that does the actual encoding). The main difference would be the control you have over the various settings and the quality. Most people consider TMPGEnc (with the correct settings) to be a bit better than Premiere's built-in encoder. My advice is make a few tests and decide if the gain in quality is worth the extra work.

Steveng wrote:
Also what if I rip a dvd and say the Mpeg file is over the 4.3GB would you recommend using TMPGENC or something else? Today I have been using ReMPEG2

It really depends on the quality you need and the time you have. TMPGEnc is pretty slow. Generally I recommend using TMPGEnc if you want the absolute best quality (ex., if you are making a movie and want a DVD version to send to festivals, for sale, etc.), but if you don't mind slightly lower quality (sometimes the difference is almost unnoticeable), there are other encoders that are much simpler and faster to use.

Steveng wrote:
I can’t understand why I can’t rip my own dvd’s that I created were there is no ercryption on them.

If the DVDs are not encrypted you don't need to rip them. Just copy them using a disc copy program (ex., Nero, PrimoDVD, etc.).

RMN
~~~
Steveng

PostPosted: Wed 3 Sep 2003, 2:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again!

Could I just simply copy my dvd's without encryption using explorer on to the HD then burn them to a blank dvd using Stomp? Or will explorer miss some important files during the copy that are need.

Thanks,

-Steven
Steveng

PostPosted: Wed 3 Sep 2003, 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last question (for now).

One of the dvd's I am trying to copy fails to finish ripping using Smart Ripper (it finishes all of the vob files) then it says it can't read VTS_01_0.BUP "no access"

Is this file required? What is it used for?

Thanks,

-Steven
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: