dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pixel “flashes” problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VorTex

PostPosted: Thu 11 Sep 2003, 18:13    Post subject: Pixel “flashes” problem Reply with quote

When I encode a DVD (NTSC) which is shot and edited in DV, whether it be 25 minutes long using CBR or a 100+minutes long video using VBR; I always get an occasional (up to about 5 total) of what I call pixel “flashes” or “glitter”. These are those shiny one frame flashes of chrome like squares and rectangles that occur in various parts of the picture. Sad

They are not in the original DV footage or edited project, but do show up when I look at the encoded MPEG-2 video file. They often occur in the same spots on a particular video no matter what encoding settings I use.

Other than that the picture and sound come out great. Very Happy

I’m new to this, so any concrete help would be appreciated.

BTW, I’m using Sony (sonicfoundry) DVD-Architect and Vegas-4.
Sad
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 12 Sep 2003, 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

And are you doing the AVI -> MPEG2 conversion with TMPGEnc? If so, do you see these flashes only when you play the resulting DVD or also when you play the MPEG-2 file on PowerDVD (or some other software DVD player)?

RMN
~~~
VorTex

PostPosted: Fri 12 Sep 2003, 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, AVI->MPEG2 conversion is done by SonicFoundry Vegas-4. After the mpeg2 file is made, I can import it to the Vegas timeline and watch it. And sure enough, the artifacts are in the same spots as on the burned DVD. So the artifacts are being created in the encoding, not the media or burner.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 12 Sep 2003, 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any experience with Vegas' MPEG-2 encoder, so the only thing I can suggest is that you try a different encoder (ex., TMPGEnc, CinemaCraft, etc.) and see if the problem persists. Maybe someone else here will know more about Vegas' encoder. If you haven't yet, post a message in Sonic Foundry's forums:

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/forums/default.asp

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: