dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Converting NTSC to PAL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidhunt

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep 2003, 4:08    Post subject: Converting NTSC to PAL Reply with quote

I have source video in NTSC avi files. I want to burn PAL DVDs. Can I go directly from my NTSC avi file to a PAL mpg file using TMPGEnc by simply selecting PAL in the Video format box under Settings/Video?

Or do I need to convert the NTSC file to the proper pixel size and frame rate before attempting to compress with TMPGEnc?
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue 23 Sep 2003, 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMPGEnc can resize the image properly, but it will not re-time interlaced video correctly (from 29.87 to 25 frames per second). Converting from PAL to NTSC looks terrible (because there's a "backstep" every 6 frames). Converting from NTSC to PAL looks reasonable, but it's still not as good as if you use a dedicated program to convert between the two formats.

Try this program:

http://www.dvunlimited.com/

Some people have reported good results, others have said there is some loss of quality. I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

If you want to use TMPGEnc, make sure you set everything in the "Video" tab to your output format (PAL, 25 fps, 720x576, interlaced) and everything in the "Advanced" tab to your input format (interlaced, NTSC, full screen).

RMN
~~~
davidhunt

PostPosted: Tue 23 Sep 2003, 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping I could take a shortcut and eliminate a render step. I use the Video Toaster to edit and it has the capability of converting from NTSC to PAL. It looks like another 16 hours of rendering to convert my 8 2-hour projects to PAL.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep 2003, 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will take long whether you use TMPGEnc or a different program. When you convert from PAL to NTSC (or vice-versa), every single frame needs to be resized.

Note that virtually all modern DVD players and TV sets can read both PAL and NTSC, so you'll usually be able to play a PAL disc in an NTSC country and vice-versa, without any need to convert the movie.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: