dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some guidance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craash

PostPosted: Tue 14 Oct 2003, 16:36    Post subject: Some guidance Reply with quote

Hi all, first of all, I've been working on this project since august, and although I've made progress (thanks to the FAQ's and guides here), I'm still not where I want to be. So, here is the plea for help.

Since I believe this is the year the Kansas City Chiefs are headed to the Superbowl, I've decided to archive all the games onto DVD (one game - commercials per DVD)

I've recorded all the games (Using ATI AIW 9700 Pro) and removed the commercials using mpeg-vcr. I recorded using the highest possilbe settings for MPEG (the 3+ hour files are about 11 GB each). I do have access to the original (via Time Warner DVR - no additional compression) if I need to re-capture in AVI.

I then encoded using TMPGenc Plus and overall, I'm fairly happy with the picture quality (it's almost, or maybe even as good as the original - digital cable). TMPGenc created a M2v and a Wav file which I used to create the DVD. The newly created DVD has audio sync issues.

So, my question is, what would be the best way to do what I want to do? The games are between 135 and 155 minutes. I'd like to retain as close to the orignal PQ as possible (they will be played on a HDTV big screen with Progressive DVD Player).

I'm fine with calculationg Bit rate.

How should I capture? (Adobe Premiere, ATI software, other?)
How should I remove commercials (mpeg-vcr seems to work well)
How should I encode, seperate audio stream?
How should I burn?

My concerns are as follows:

1. Quality - This is paramount!!
2. Ease of use/Speed - I am a techie, but I do have a life (actually, I have twins, so I don't really have a life)
3. Left Blank. Smile
10. Price - I do have limits, but they are pretty high.

The machine I'm working with has the following:

Intel P4 3.2 with HT
4 GB of DDR400
System Disk is 2 WD SATA 10,000 RPM Raptors in stripped array.
Media Disk is 4 WD SATA 7,200 RPM 250GB Drives in stripped array (LOTS of space.)
Video/Capture is ATI AIW 9700 PRO
Plextor PX-708 Dual Media DVD Burner.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct 2003, 18:09    Post subject: Re: Some guidance Reply with quote

Craash wrote:
I've recorded all the games (Using ATI AIW 9700 Pro) [...] I then encoded using TMPGenc Plus

Doesn't the AIW capture directly to MPEG-2? If so, running the files through TMPGEnc (or any other encoder) will only make you lose quality. Or did you capture with a bitrate that was too high for DVD?

Craash wrote:
TMPGenc created a M2v and a Wav file which I used to create the DVD. The newly created DVD has audio sync issues.

Which program did you use to author the DVD? Does the VIDEO_TS folder play correctly using PowerDVD (or WinDVD, etc.)?

Craash wrote:
(they will be played on a HDTV big screen with Progressive DVD Player).

That is pretty much irrelevant since the DVD format doesn't support HD, and the source is almost certainly interlaced video. Of course, the better the TV, the better the final quality, but don't expect miracles; DVD is meant to replace VHS, it's not a high-end format.

RMN
~~~
Craash

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct 2003, 19:45    Post subject: Re: Some guidance Reply with quote

rmn wrote:
(Doesn't the AIW capture directly to MPEG-2? If so, running the files through TMPGEnc (or any other encoder) will only make you lose quality. Or did you capture with a bitrate that was too high for DVD?

Yes, I did capture in MPEG-2, but the bitrate was too high to get the entire game (minus ads) on 1 DVD.

rmn wrote:
(Which program did you use to author the DVD? Does the VIDEO_TS folder play correctly using PowerDVD (or WinDVD, etc.)?

I only tried Sonic's MyDVD Plus. I have other's available, but I was discouraged and decided to take a day off, hoping for some pointers from this thread. Considering I have a wave and mv2, what would you suggest?

rmn wrote:
(That is pretty much irrelevant since the DVD format doesn't support HD, and the source is almost certainly interlaced video. Of course, the better the TV, the better the final quality, but don't expect miracles; DVD is meant to replace VHS, it's not a high-end format.

My reasoning for bring up the big screen TV is that because you can already start to see some image issues using Digital Cable. This is due to cableco compression and the large size of the picture (garbage in = garbage out). So, since I'm "blowing the picture up" via the bigscreen, I want to try to retain as much of the orignal quality (or lack of) as possible. In my case, the HDTV big screen actually hurts me, because it shows the picture complete with all of it's flaws - magnified! I know I'm not going to obtain close DVD quality with a bitrate around 3300 or so, but to be honest, the original source doesn't even come close to DVD. I just don't want to loose any MORE picture quality.

I appreciate your response, and I hope I answered your questions.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct 2003, 20:00    Post subject: Re: Some guidance Reply with quote

Craash wrote:

I only tried Sonic's MyDVD Plus.

So when you say "the DVD has sync issues" do you mean you tested an actual DVD or that the preview mode inside MyDVD is out of sync? I'm asking this because MyDVD is known to have a very bad preview mode. To test the DVD, either burn a disc (ex., an RW disc so you can re-use it) or compile to a TS folder and open the TS folder in PowerDVD.

Craash wrote:

In my case, the HDTV big screen actually hurts me, because it shows the picture complete with all of it's flaws - magnified!

Move back a bit. Wink

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: