dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aspect ratio conversion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SecShade

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov 2003, 19:50    Post subject: Aspect ratio conversion Reply with quote

Hi,

I'll appreciate if someone can guide me to convert the aspect ratio of a couple of MPEG-2 files.

Files are encoded in a 4:3 ratio and I want to transform them to 16:9 ratio.

I know that the picture will be distorted, but that's intended. Don't want to crop, or trim any piece of the actual video; and, will prefer the method that uses no re-compresion at all, if possible, or minimal re-compression instead. Maybe someway to fool the player and make it to "see" a 16:9 video.

I don't consider myself a newbie neither an expert in using TMPEGenc, but I just can't find the way to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov 2003, 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

The output aspect ratio is determined by a simple "flag" (value) in the MPEG stream. I don't know any way to change it in TMPGEnc without recompressing, but I suspect there are some MPEG "toolkits" that will let you do it. It should also be possible to open the file with a hexadecimal editor and change only that flag, assuming you knew the address and the correct value.

BTW, I think the value is 0x31 for 16:9 and 0x21 for 4:3, but I don't know exactly how to determine the address. If someone has more information, or knows of a program that will change this flag automatically, please post.

RMN
~~~
SecShade

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov 2003, 18:28    Post subject: Thanks for your answer Reply with quote

Very interesting answer

That was the kind of answer I've been looking for, unfortunately, I don't have the proficiency necesary to find the required address so will hope that somebody else can give us some lights on it.

Can you name any toolkit that would change aspect ratio without reencoding?

Thanks again!!!
SecShade

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov 2003, 19:57    Post subject: Found a tool that claims to do qhat i want Reply with quote

Hi again rmn,

Searching the web, leaded by the ideas you posted, found a tool called pulldown, that claims to change the aspect ratio flag without re-encoding:

http://www.inwards.com/inwards/?id=36

Not only can change the aspect ratio flag, but some others flags that i really don't undestand clearly. Anyway, i've tried it and got a 16:9 video file with the very same file size. So I guess it works.

It says it doesn't re-encode anything... but Is there an EASY way to confirm if my video have been re-encoded or would be a lose of time to even try (as the resulting video is the same size)?

Anyway, thanks again for your help
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat 6 Dec 2003, 1:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long does this program take to process the file? If it's very slow, it's possible it re-encoded the file (although I doubt that very much). If it's fast, you can be pretty much certain it didn't re-encode anything.

RMN
~~~
Trulgor

PostPosted: Tue 14 Dec 2004, 21:08    Post subject: Pulldown does not re-encode the source Reply with quote

I just went through the sourec code for pulldown (found at http://www.inwards.com/inwards/?id=36 ). It is safe to say that Pulldown does not re-encode the source independent of any option supplied to the program. It simply changes certain bits in the source before copying to the desired output.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Editing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: