dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Horizontal Lines on encoded mpeg2 ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Mackay

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jan 2004, 21:28    Post subject: Horizontal Lines on encoded mpeg2 ? Reply with quote

So I first noticed the horizontal lines on my home video when using TMPGenc to convert my avi to a mpeg2 - using the very useful guide I found on this site. See the links below for an example of the mpeg2 issues I was talking about.

http://www.boatertalk.com/gallery.php?imageid=767
http://www.boatertalk.com/gallery.php?imageid=768
http://www.boatertalk.com/gallery.php?imageid=769

Note that these screen shots are directly from powerDVD so the interlacing issues when viewing on a computer screen should be taken care of with power DVD.

This caused me to look closer at the output from Adobe Premier 6.5. I looked at the exported Adobe Premier .avi through the premier 'preview monitor' I also noticed the horizontal lines. ( I figured this could be interlacing but you would think the premier monitor would account for that like PowerDVD).

This caused me to look at my orginal captured .avi as captured from my miniDV camera. All captured avi's look pristine. However I think a lot (not all) of the footage was captured using my progressive scan option on my camera.

SO next I tried reversing the field order when I exported my timeline from Premier. When viewed through the Premier monitor window it still shows the lines. I've not yet burned this .avi to DVD in order to view it through PowerDVD. I'm not very optimistic.

I also tried using a different export codec from Premier. Again the same results.

So does anybody have any idea what may be causing this and how to fix it? I've put a bunch of effort into this movie and I'd hate to settle for sub standard results.

Thanks

Steve
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan 2004, 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerDVD has three operating modes: "bob", which performs deinterlacing, "weave", which does not, and "auto", that will try to select the right mode. Premiere never deinterlaces the image (although some real-time plug-ins do).

In other words, what you are seeing is perfectly normal. Play the DVD on a TV and it will look fine (assuming the field order is right). If you want to make sure PowerDVD deinterlaces all videos, set it to "bob" (in the video options). Automatic detection sometimes fails.

Always export from Premiere using the same codec used for capturing (ex., DV, MJPEG, etc.). This is faster and avoids recompression.

Shooting in "progressive" mode is usually a bad idea. You get only half the updates per second, more motion blur, and fast motion looks very choppy. Use it only when the movie is meant to be used in computers (games, web videos, etc.). If it's meant to be played on a TV, stick to interlaced. Also, many Mini-DV cameras use only half the vertical resolution when you set them to progressive mode. Finally, NTSC "progressive-scan" and PAL 100Hz TVs rely on the source signal being interlaced to be able to double the frame rate. If you feed them non-interlaced images (like the ones captured by "progressive" cameras), the result is not as smooth (i.e., instead of 100 updates per second, you get 25).

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: