dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blocky rendering certain scenes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RA Makaila

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar 2004, 16:13    Post subject: Blocky rendering certain scenes Reply with quote

Hi,

This is my first time posting to this particular forum. I’ve only recently begun to use TMPGEnc Plus for rendering MPEG-2s from AVIs, and so far the results are excellent. The guide at http://dvd-hq.info/Compression.html has been extremely helpful.

I did a search and found some posts relating to my problem, but I’m still not sure what to do. Here’s the situation…

I've used TMPGEnc Plus to convert some AVIs to MPEG-2, at the highest VBR--highest settings for everything. The resulting DVD looks excellent on my TV, and I'm saving a lot of disc space. All good stuff.

However, I've noticed in some exterior shots of my pale pasty white face that the resolution--just on my face--seems very low. My cheeks and my ears looks like large pixelized blocks--the kind of thing you find in MPEG-1 files. It's not too noticeable, but I'd like to fix it if I can.

According to the guide at http://dvd-hq.info/Compression.html, under the "GOP Structure" section, if I'm using an average bitrate above 6000 kbps (mine is 8000 kbps), then I can remove the "B pictures" and use "I and P-pictures" only. So I'll do that and see if that makes any difference.

Beyond that, and choosing System Video+Audio, I've followed the guide exactly.

I read in one post that, “The hardest things to compress are images where the camera or the subject have very irregular movement (ex, camera travelling through bushes).”

I think that’s where I’m having the problem. The shots that are coming out blocky are medium to close-up shots on my “pale pasty white face” while hiking downhill on a rocky path. The movement of my face on the screen is subtle but irregular.

Also, what effect does changing the GOP structure have? My GOP structure is now “IPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.” (It may have been something else before I selected “I and P-pictures only”.) I haven’t touched my GOP structure. (I don’t fully grasp the whole I and P-picture situation, anyway.)

I know this may be a fairly specialized question, but does anyone know what might be causing this blocky pixelization to occur in some shots, and what I might try to fix it?

Thanks,
RA.M / Panasonic MiniDV: PV-DV 151 D-K (NTSC) and PV-DV 103 D-K (NTSC), Windows XP Pro, Sony CD/DVD RW DW-U10A, AMD Athlon XP 2500+, 1817 MHz, 512mb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX-5200 --> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_53.03
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon 15 Mar 2004, 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bitrate are you using?

RMN
~~~
RA Makaila

PostPosted: Mon 15 Mar 2004, 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmn wrote:
What bitrate are you using?

RMN
~~~

I was using a VBR at the following settings:

Min: 2000
Avg. 8000
Max. 8000

But I'm about to try:

Min. 4000
Avg. 7000
Max. 8000

If that makes any difference...
RA.M / Panasonic MiniDV: PV-DV 151 D-K (NTSC) and PV-DV 103 D-K (NTSC), Windows XP Pro, Sony CD/DVD RW DW-U10A, AMD Athlon XP 2500+, 1817 MHz, 512mb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX-5200 --> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_53.03
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: