dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TMPGEnc Help!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sertan

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr 2003, 17:27    Post subject: TMPGEnc Help!!! Reply with quote

Sad

I'm having a problem using TMPGEnc - when I try to encode most file types I have only succeeded once. Other times I have experienced a 'stuttering' picture, and many times the encoding does not even complete - I get a read error and it doesn't finish.

Has anyone else had these problems, and does anyone have any suggestions? Please help!!!

Thanks
Sertan
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat 26 Apr 2003, 4:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post information about:

1. The source (ex., "PAL video captured from a DV camera using a firewire connection").

2. The destination format ("Ex., I'm trying to make an NTSC widescreen VCD")

3. The exact settings you're using in TMPGEnc (size, bitrate, GOP structure, interlace mode, frame rate, etc.).

4. The playback method (ex., "I'm playing the MP2 file back with Media Player", or "I'm playing the disc on a set-top player", etc.).

RMN
~~~
Sertan

PostPosted: Sat 26 Apr 2003, 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, and many thanks for replying

Source format - avi, divx, xvid files
Destination format - trying to convert to MPEG2 (DVD)
TMPGEnc settings I use -
- size seems to be autoselected when I choose DVD PAL, so it's greyed out
- bitrate - I leave it on 4000
- GOP structure - I tend to leave it as default
- interlace mode - varies - I tend to try both top and bottom first
- frame rate - 25fps
Playback method - aiming to playback on my standard Sony DVD player - have only managed it once so far though - I keep getting either errors when I'm in the middle of encoding, or the film sticks completely, with just the sound converted.
Also, sometimes I successfully encode short clips, only to find that the picture good, but not smooth - very jerky

Any hints/tips would be v welcome
Hope you can help me!
Many thanks
Sertan
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat 26 Apr 2003, 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

DivX is not a very good source format. It's highly compressed and different movies use slightly different codecs, that sometimes don't decode properly with newer codecs. Converting DivX to DVD is, IMO, a waste of time and money. If you want to play DivX movies on your TV, get a graphics card with TV output, and connect it your TV, either with a cable or a wireless transmitter. As a bonus you'll also be able to play Quicktime, other AVI formats, Flash movies, etc., and even DVDs - and a DVD drive is usually cheaper than a set-top DVD player.

Anyway, from your message it would seem that you're using one of the original TMPGEnc templates. Don't. Make your own, with all settings unlocked. See the compression guide for details.

Also, try playing back the MPEG-2 file (created by TMPGEnc) and see if it plays correctly (using PowerDVD, for example). If it does, import it into your DVD authoring program and compile it to a title set (VIDEO_TS) folder. Then open that folder with a software DVD player (Power DVD, WinDVD, etc.), and see if it plays correctly. If it does, record it to a DVD.

If the DVD fails, it's probably a media problem (try a different brand of discs). Some set-top players have problems with some brands of DVD-R (or DVD+R, +RW, -RW). Some set-top players have problems with recordable DVDs in general (I've had problems with models from Sony, Grundig and a couple of strange brands; in my experience Pioneer players have the best compatibility with recordable DVDs).

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: