dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TMPGEnc ES

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJB

PostPosted: Thu 1 May 2003, 19:52    Post subject: TMPGEnc ES Reply with quote

In you DVD guide you mention that ES Elementary Stream should be used to create a video only mpg file and that audio should be processed by a different encoder.

I assume that I can export the audio as a Windows WAV file. Then use AVISynth to TMPEnc es for video MPG file not worrying about the audio file and leave the audio source file strip locator blank.

When using ES the file that is created is a M2V extension and the DVD autoring program will not accept it. Am I missing something here?

Thanks
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 2 May 2003, 1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the audio, yes. If you're making a video ES, the audio file wouldn't be used anyway, so just leave it blank.

Regarding the video file, some authoring programs look at the file extension and, if they don't recognise it, simply refuse the file (despite the fact that the file is in the correct format). Try changing the file extension (renaming the file) to .MPG or .MP2.

RMN
~~~
royalbox

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2003, 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

@rmn

Thanks for the TMPGEnc guide, it's very helpful.
On the same subject as MJB, is it alright to use the ES video+audio setting and set the audio to PCM 48khz? I don't want to compress the audio anyway. Many thanks.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2003, 3:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the source audio is 48 KHz stereo (ex., a DV AVI), then selecting ES (V+A) with the audio format set to PCM 48 KHz will produce a WAV file with the sound, while the video is output to a MPEG-2 file (or MPEG-1, of course, depending on your settings). In other words, no audio processing will be made, it will simply be copied from the AVI file to a WAV file.

RMN
~~~
royalbox

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2003, 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you RMN.
Is DV audio always 48khz stereo? My source tapes are analogue 8mm which I think records audio as an 8bit 32khz pcm file if I remember correctly, though I'm not sure. I assume the conversion to DV that my camcorder does converts it to the correct DV format.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2003, 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

DV audio can be 48 KHz, 44.1 KHz or 32 KHz.

The 44.1 KHz format is very rare, and uses unlocked audio. I don't think any camera or deck normally generates a 44.1 KHz sound stream; it can only be transferred via firewire from a computer (or some other digital source).

48 KHz is the normal format for professional equipment. If your equipment is DV-CAM or uses large DV tapes, it probably records in 48 KHz. Most professional equipment can also use 32 KHz with 4 channels, instead of 48 KHz with two channels.

Low-end mini-DV equipment (and, I think, Digital-8) nearly always uses 32 KHz stereo. Mid-range mini-DV equipment usually lets you pick between 48 and 32 KHz.

DVD must use 48 or 96 KHz.

You can find out which format your camcorder is recording in by checking the file properties of the captured DV AVI files (native DV capture doesn't change the format, so the file will use whatever the camera created).

If your camera is recording in 32 KHz, and you can't find a way to switch it to 48, then the sound will have to be resampled before being recorded to the DVD.

Most authoring programs will convert between the two, but the question is how that conversion will be made. It's a bit like image resizing. If you open a JPEG with Windows Explorer and make the window smaller, the image will be resized to fit, but will look like crap (because it's a simple resize, without any resampling). If you resample an image in Photoshop (or any other decent image editing program), it will look much better.

If you want the best quality, I would recommend converting the sound to 48 KHz using a sound editing program such as SoundForge or CoolEdit.

I've noticed that there's now a free version of Protools (probably the most famous multi-track sound editing program). I haven't tried it yet, but it can probably resample sound clips, and it probably uses a good resampling algorithm. If you don't have a sound editing program and don't fell like paying for one, you can download Protools Free from here.

RMN
~~~
royalbox

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2003, 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RMN.
Actually, I've used sound forge for years for audio editing and it is a great program. I'm quite new to this video stuff though.

The file properties show nothing when you right-click and select properties, but you gave me the idea to check it in sound forge. It shows as 48khz 16bit stereo, so my camcorder must be converting it. Thanks again for your help.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2003, 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you check the "properties" in Windows Explorer you won't get much info. I meant in an editing program, such as Premiere, Media Studio, Sound Forge, Vegas, etc.. Should have been more explicit.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Authoring All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: