dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help with tmpgenc re encoding

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spiet

PostPosted: Tue 4 May 2004, 14:31    Post subject: help with tmpgenc re encoding Reply with quote

howdie

first post here and i have a pretty annoying problem here, perhaps any of you can help me out.

well i have an avi file

details : 512x288 (1.78:1) [=16:9] divx 3 low motion, 731 kb/S, 23.97 fps, and with 128 kbit mp3 44100hz.

now what i want to do is convert this file to mpeg2 with tmpgenc and then run it through tmpgenc dvd author to create menu etc.
i have read alot of the compression options , and hq options etc but i do not manage to keep, when re encoding the file to 16:9 format.
i does work tho but the video type and source is so confusing (it works but then the screen on the widescreen tv is too small (even when its in 16:9)

g-spot says this info above so the file is in 16:9. i did a few other files (avi also) with tmpgenc , mostly in 4:3 but then i used custom size (660x440), worked pretty good.

i did get some weird color and distortion images when viewing the file on the dvd player , i have no idea what went wrong, it does happen a few times but like 1 second.

so main question, when using the wizard of tmpgenc , what do i need to check and uncheck to get that file in the best quality, converting to mpeg2 and that the tv will convert it to 16:9.

thanks.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue 4 May 2004, 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend using the Wizard at all. It does not give you full control over the options. Are you trying to encode to PAL or NTSC?

RMN
~~~
Spiet

PostPosted: Wed 5 May 2004, 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

To ntsc since it is 23.97 fps

dvd standalone player and tv can handle the signal so its not a problem. i'm only very confused about the video type and display settings in tmpgenc with this file (and pretty with all files)
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed 5 May 2004, 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set the source aspect ratio to "1:1 VGA". Set the output aspect ratio to "16:9 display". Set the video arrange method to "full screen" (without "keep aspect ratio"). That should do the trick; it will stretch the image to 720x480 and set the 16:9 flag so the player knows how to display it.

RMN
~~~
Spiet

PostPosted: Wed 5 May 2004, 13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thnx alot

i'll try these settings.

btw does that also mean that the video will be reencoded with better quality etc ?

i want setting that will encode the divx video to as best as possible.
Spiet

PostPosted: Wed 5 May 2004, 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW another question i got

lets say u got a divx file which is in 750 kbit

is it necessary then to select for example in tmpgenc 8000 kbit for video bit rate? i mean will that make a difference ?

so if u for example just use 2000 or 4000 instead of 8000 , the file will be smaller (more place on the dvd for other things), but what about the quality? Will it be the same , 2000-4000 compare to 8000 since the original source is only divx at 750?
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed 5 May 2004, 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

DivX and DVD use different encoding algorithms, so there is no relationship between the bitrate of one and the bitrate of the other. Generally, DVD will need a higher bitrate to produce equivalent quality, since it uses an older, less efficient algorithm, but you'll have to make a few tests to determine the best settings for each case.

Recompressing video (ex., from DivX to MPEG-2) will nearly always introduce a loss of quality, even if you use a very high bitrate.

The best way to see DivX movies on the TV with good quality is to use a graphics card with TV-out. That way you don't need to convert the video, and you can use your PC to decode (PC decoders normally have better quality than set-top decoders).

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: