dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TMPGEnc 3.0

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Switch

PostPosted: Sat 29 May 2004, 4:10    Post subject: TMPGEnc 3.0 Reply with quote

Well, 3.0 of TMPGEnc is out (with the moniker "Xpress" -- how cheesy and cheap sounding). The website says the interface is completely revamped. I was wondering if you've had a chance to play around with it, and if so what you think about it. Also, with a new interface, do you plan on writing a new guide for TMPGEnc?
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat 29 May 2004, 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

The free encoder is still at 2.521. If and when it's updated to 3.0, I will update the guide. The commercial version comes with instructions and entitles its owners to product support direct from Pegasys, and since Pegasys isn't paying me to rewrite their documentation, it's up to them to deal with their customers' questions... Wink

I haven't tried version 3 yet. Apparently, it has better support for other formats (Quicktime, Windows Media), which is nice (if it works).

RMN
~~~
Switch

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jun 2004, 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would follow up on this. Pegasys has made available a trial version of 3.0 that works for 14 days, so I decided to give it a whirl this afternoon.

So far, I am impressed with the results. The interface takes some getting used to as it is laid out much like their DVD Author program. But once you dig around a bit, you will find all the same, familiar, settings. Be sure to click the "MPEG Advanced" tab once reaching that point in Set Output. I am still using the calculator on here; I have not tried 3.0's wizard settings yet.

I am especially impressed with the VBR encode time. A movie file that used to take 16 hours to analyze and output now takes 7 hours! At least on my computer. I don't know if the engine is better, or if the program is now making full use of hyperthreading technology. I have not done any CBR encoding yet, so I cannot speak on that.

The only glitch I am experiencing thus far involves the field order - 3.0 is not detecting it correctly. Either that, or it never did and just happened to default to Bottom in 2.5. If so, it defaults to Top now.

Anyway, I am loving it so far! And this is only Day 1 of the trial. I'll continue to update should I find problems or anomalies.
Switch

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun 2004, 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a look at my 3.0 version 2-pass VBR encode on a 32-inch TV. It disappoints me that I have to report inferior results.

I did a 2-pass VBR, noise reduction, max 8000 avg 4400 min 1750 1I 7P 1B encode of a 100 minute video on 3.0.

I did the same video with a CBR bitrate 4400, noise reduction, 1I 7P 1B on 2.5.

Would you believe the CBR version looks better? The VBR has pixelization throughout and the noise reduction is terrible.

Also, 3.0 seem to add brightness to the picture for some reason. Not sure if it's the noise reduction or not. But the blacks aren't as deep as they used to be, as if someone pumped the brightness up on the TV or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: