dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mpeg-2 result darker than avi source file?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
koolguysj

PostPosted: Sat 2 Oct 2004, 4:07    Post subject: Mpeg-2 result darker than avi source file? Reply with quote

I've followed the guide on this site on encoding my mpeg-2 file using Tmpgenc Plus and having problem with my results. My source file is in avi and after encoding, my mpeg-2 in movie seems a lot darker than my source file. So i went to uncheck the option "Output basic YCbCr" under Quantize matrix and re-encode the second time. Second result was better, almost the same as the source file. But, having looked at it carefully, the second result still seemed a bit darker than the original source, even having "Output basic YCbCr" uncheck. Can someone help me find a way to encode my mpeg-2 file to have the same contrast/brightness as my original source file please? Anything would help.

i have the following codecs installed from Doom9.net:
1)ffdshow
2)Ogg Vorbis Direct Show filter implementation
3)XviD 1.0.2
4)DivX 3.11 alpha
5)Vobsub
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat 2 Oct 2004, 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brightness and contrast are also influenced by the player. For example, MPEG files played back in the Quicktime Player tend to look a bit brighter than if they're played on PowerDVD (using the default settings).

So trying to get the two to match exactly is a bit pointless, because even if they match in one player, they might not match in a different one.

If you want it to look brighter, just add a "brightness" filter (either in TMPGEnc or in your video editing program).

RMN
~~~
koolguysj

PostPosted: Sun 3 Oct 2004, 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do make a good point. Very Happy
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon 4 Oct 2004, 2:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you think the output of software players varies a lot, just wait until you start testing different set-top players and different TVs... Smile

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: