dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Burned DVD Wont Play On Standalone DVD Player

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctjh

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov 2004, 15:44    Post subject: Burned DVD Wont Play On Standalone DVD Player Reply with quote

Perhaps you can fill me on on what I am doing wrong.

I am using TMPGEnc to convert AVI to DVD (MPG) files. The movies play fine on PowerDVD on my computer but will not play on my standalone Sony DVD player. I am burning on DVD+R and using Nero to create a DVD UDF disk with a closed session.

The disc ends up with a single file on it VideoName.MPG. The disk plays back on my PC but my DVD playes says it cant open the disk.

Any Help Would Be Appreciated
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov 2004, 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need DVD authoring software - burning a MPEG file to a data DVD is not enough for set-top players to recognise and play it. Most DVD burners come bundled with a simple authoring program. If you don't have one, there are several programs with trial versions available (ex., TMPGEnc DVD Author).

The authoring program will let you import your audio and video files, create menus, chapter marks, etc., and then compile everything into DVD Video format.

RMN
~~~
doctjh

PostPosted: Fri 12 Nov 2004, 15:56    Post subject: I knew I was an idiot Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, I was thinking my problem was the burning aspect not the authoring part. I have TMPGEnc but I did not think that was an authoring program, thought it was just a ripper. Unfortunately my DVD burner did not come with any software on any use except a simpler burning pack and PowerDVD.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2004, 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several programs called "TMPGEnc". The main one is the encoder (not a ripper - a ripper is a program that extracts MPEG streams from compiled DVDs). But the same company (Pegasys) also sells a program called "TMPGEnc DVD Author", that will take the files created by the encoder, let you create menus, chapters, etc., and then compiles everything to DVD Video format (which you can then burn to a DVD, and will play on set-top players).

RMN
~~~
doctjh

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov 2004, 14:31    Post subject: Dooooh - I knew that Reply with quote

Hey thanks so much for your help. Once I stopped and thought about what I was doing it all made sence, just needed a knock on the side of the head. I have been able to burn DVD's without a poblem ever since. I do have one more small question if you can answer it (I have seen other notes on this elsewhere).

My DVD movies start off fine but about 1/2 way the sound goes off sync by just a little bit. The orig AVI file is fine, any suggestions?

Thansk agina for the assistance.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon 15 Nov 2004, 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

What format, exactly, are the source files (codec, resolution, frame rate, audio format)? Could be some problem with the AVI codec. Try raising the priority of the DirectShow reader in TMPGEnc's "Environmental settings" (in the menu). This fixes some problems with some types of AVIs.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Recording All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: