dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.AVI to DVD Quality Problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
harry

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov 2004, 18:06    Post subject: .AVI to DVD Quality Problems Reply with quote

First of all, I'd like to say great website. Very helpful. I've spent about 3 days researching how to convert my MiniDV .avi files to Mpeg-2 so I can burn it to a DVD. Unfortunately, the final quality is bad. I use Sony Vegas 5.0 to capture and save as .avi. Then I use TMPGEnc Plus to encode the avi. to mpeg 2. Then TMPGEnc Author to create the DVD file. Edges seem very jagged, such as tree limbs and corners of houses, ect. ect. Very annoying.

Is this to be expected? Is there a way to save a MiniDV .avi file to DVD without losing quality? If I am doing it right, then is it the settings in TMPGEnc? I tried most of the recommened settings. Thanks for the help guys.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu 25 Nov 2004, 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably seeing the effects of interlacing.

You need to play it on a TV, or with a DVD player (ex., PowerDVD, WinDVD, etc.). Interlaced video does not play correctly on PC screens. It must be seen either on a TV or with a program that deinterlaces the images during playback.

RMN
~~~
ishinryu

PostPosted: Sat 4 Dec 2004, 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmn,
I have read your article on compression using TMPGEnc. However, as the original poster says my output is 'blocky' even when viewed on tv. My source is old vhs but the captured avi is 10 times better. Why is this?
I have gone back and checked the settings and found that cbr and not 2-pass was selected. Will this make much of a difference? I have changed it to 2-pass and am re-compressing as I type (still 21 hours to go).
One more thing - my system does not come with the unlock.mcf template (I searched the whole computer). Is it only available after I've paid for it?
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue 7 Dec 2004, 3:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can probably unlock the settings by clicking on their name (the text, on the left side). If not, you can download an unlock.mcf file from my guide, or create a template and then edit it by hand using Notepad (it's just a text file that unlocks all settings).

2-pass VBR will make a difference if you don't have enough room for CBR at a high bitrate (>7 Mb/s). Compared to 7 or 8 Mb/s CBR, there should be almost no difference.

The problem with VHS is it has a lot of noise (grain, colour instability, etc.). This confuses the encoder; it wastes a lot of time and bandwidth trying to preserve the grain, and this makes you lose the really important details. The better (cleaner) your source, the easier and more efficient the compression will be.

If you are using B-pictures, set them to zero and use only I and P (ex., I=1, P=14). also, make sure that "detect scene change" is turned on. You can also try using block noise reduction (in the "Matrix" tab), but it should only be necessary at low bitrates.

Also, what format is your AVI (i.e., how, exactly, are you capturing from VHS)?

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: