dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TMPgenc Xpress?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
koolguysj

PostPosted: Fri 7 Jan 2005, 20:41    Post subject: TMPgenc Xpress? Reply with quote

I've been using TMPgenc plus for sometime and wanted to try out TMPgenc Xpress 3.0. In TMPgenc Xpress under advance settings, under the "Other" tab, there are three options that are left checked by default. They are, "Optimize half/full pixel motion search", "Apply low-pass filter on color channels", and "Use key frames as I picture". I don't know what those options are and wanted to know if i should leave them checked at default or not? Any suggestion would be thankful, Thanx.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 7 Jan 2005, 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motion search option might be be equivalent to the one in TMPGEnc's "Quantize matrix" tab (or maybe it's an algorithm to try to determine automatically whether motion search should use full or half-pixels). I doubt it makes a big difference either way.

The low-pass filter is basically a form of noise reduction. It's probably meant for single-CCD cameras, where colour noise is more noticeable. Might be useful if the source is noisy.

The option to use I-pictures for keyframes is only relevant if your source has temporal compression. In that case, you generally benefit from turning it on. But if your source has a lot of keyframes (ex., one every 4 frames), it can actually make the bitrate distribution less efficient. For formats without temporal compression, leave it off (although, hopefully, TMPGEnc will be smart enough to see that, if all frames are keyframes, it should be off anyway).

RMN
~~~
koolguysj

PostPosted: Sat 8 Jan 2005, 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for explaining those options. I think i'll uncheck them for all Confused
ishinryu

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan 2005, 8:57    Post subject: Re: TMPgenc Xpress? Reply with quote

koolguysj wrote:
I've been using TMPgenc plus for sometime and wanted to try out TMPgenc Xpress 3.0

I have been using the trial version of Plus and am now trying DVD Source Creator. However, Xpress does not have a trial version. Can I ask you what you think of it compared to Plus and Source Creator?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: