dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help backing up my terminator 2 movie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
photojoe

PostPosted: Tue 4 Mar 2003, 19:34    Post subject: Help backing up my terminator 2 movie Reply with quote

I bought the terminator 2 movie sometime ago and because it has been passed around so much iwanted to back it up in event it gets scratched up and unusable. I have tmpgencplus to encode and dvdavi and maestro to do this with. My problem is in the settings in tmpgen+. I end up with a lot of lines when I watch my back up copy on tv. Does anyone have any experience with encoding this movie as far as the settings in tmpgenc are concerned? DVDAVI show it as 16:9 with 29.970fps. it also shows it as FILM98%. Under the video tab for settings I have, MPEG2, 720X480, 16:9 display, 29.970fps. I use automatic vbr with a quality of 55,min 0, max 3000. this works great for me, MP@ML, video format: NTSC, encode mode: noninterlaced, 4:2:0, 10 bits, search precision high quality,, under advanced tab i have noninterlaced progressive, bottom field first B, 16:9 525lline NTSC, GOP tab, 1,5,2,1 and thats pretty much it. I get a lot of horizontal lines on the tv when viewing my first back up at these settings. The quality and sharpness are excellent, its just that you see these fine horizontal lines across the tv. Anyone have suggestions as to the cause and what exact settings they used in this encoding program to get it to play back clearly?
Thanks ahead of time for any help.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed 5 Mar 2003, 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the source is an existing DVD, and if the software reports it's 29.97 FPS, it has probably already been converted from non-interlaced film to interlaced video (this improves the motion when converting from 24 to 29.97 fps).

Therefore you should set the "encode mode" (in the video tab) to "interlace", and the "video source type" (in the advanced tab) also to "interlace(d)". The field order depends on the settings used in the original conversion, but I think it's more likely they used "top field first".

You can probably get better quality if you use 2-pass VBR, and you can almost certainly use a higher bitrate than that. Use the calculator to determine the exact values, based on the movie length and sound format.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: