dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Burned DVD's are jerky on home player :-(

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renaatski

PostPosted: Fri 17 Oct 2003, 9:36    Post subject: Burned DVD's are jerky on home player :-( Reply with quote

Hi all,

another total newbie question I'm affraid... Confused

I've recently acquired myself a Sony TRV-22 digital camcorder for capturing the first moments in life of my daugther Smile So I decided to invest in a DVD-burner too, for making DVD's to view them afterwards... I was able to get one second-hand of a friend (an 8 month old Pioneer DVR-A05/105) at a very good price

I followed the guide on dvdrhelp.com for encoding to MPEG-2, and the result on my PC is quite satisfactory (using powerDVD 4.0), quality has been preserved, which is paramount to me... (I did use "interlaced")

I used Ulead DVD Movie Factory afterwards to burn this to DVD-RW, and that's where the problem comes in. My home player doesn't seem to be able to read DVD-RW discs. As an alternative (I'm out of blank DVD-R's) I tried to burn the same video to a blank CD, but the result is very jerky video! Sad

I used 8000/6000/4000 as max/avg/min bitrates in TMPGenc so I guess that's fine...

I even tried burning just the ES Video stream (so no audio), to eliminate audio decoder probs. My guess is that my home player is in need of replacement... Or could I expect that using DVD-R discs, the results would be better ?

The thing is , I'm suspecting my home player - which is a rather old one , a RAITE AVPhile 711 - not being able to handle these bitrates, which is puzzling since commercial DVD's play fine ? So if this is a bitrate issue, at what bitrate are commercial DVD's encoded then ?

Hopefully somebody can shed some light on this ... I'm just taking my first few steps into DVD authoring Smile

Kind regards,

Renaat
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon 20 Oct 2003, 13:24    Post subject: Re: Burned DVD's are jerky on home player :-( Reply with quote

Renaatski wrote:

I tried to burn the same video to a blank CD, but the result is very jerky video! Sad

Very few players read cDVD (DVD data on a CD), and the ones that do often skip if the bitrate is high. If you want to put video on a CD you should use VCD or SVCD format (lower quality than DVD).

Renaatski wrote:

My guess is that my home player is in need of replacement... Or could I expect that using DVD-R discs, the results would be better ?

Most modern players read DVD-R and DVD+R with no problems (as long as the media is of good quality - Maxell and Pioneer are two good brands). The RW formats are incompatible with a lot of players. So yes, you should definitely try DVD-R.

Renaatski wrote:

The thing is , I'm suspecting my home player - which is a rather old one , a RAITE AVPhile 711 - not being able to handle these bitrates,

All DVD players have to support a bitrate of up to 9800. Some very old models have problems when the video goes beyond 8000 (because they assume the rest is for audio and subtitles). Modern players actually support video above 9800 Kb/s.

Renaatski wrote:

at what bitrate are commercial DVD's encoded then ?

Varies a lot, but usually it's VBR at 2000/*/8000, where * is typically between 4000 and 6500. In other words, you project is perfectly within spec and within the norm.

RMN
~~~
Zodiac

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar 2005, 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitrate of 6950 (CBR) is good to burn 1.5 hrs of Commercial quality DVD video .. use VBR min - 4000 .. max - 8000 for good results .. but slow encoding ..
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon 14 Mar 2005, 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't gain anything by setting the minimum bitrate value too high; it simply means that, even in areas that can be highly compressed (ex., completely black screen), the encoder will be "wasting" 4000 kb/s. This will force it to lower the bitrate in other scenes, to keep the average.

Some old players have problems when the bitrate approaches 0, so it's usually a good idea to keep the minimum at 2000 or so, if you want to make sure the disc plays everywhere. But if you know your player can handle lower bitrates, set the minimum to 0; this will let the encoder save bandwidth on very simple frames (ex., all black or all white), and use it to improve more complex frames.

Also, "commercial quality" varies a lot (some commercial DVDs have terrible image quality), and the necessary bitrate will also very depending on which encoder you use and what kind of footage you're encoding (stills and slow pans need much less bandwidth than fast scenes with lots of cuts). Good commercial DVDs are often "hand-tuned" in more difficult scenes. Another thing worth bearing in mind is that most commercial DVDs are made from film, so they compress much better (24 fps, no interlacing, and less noise than video footage). In other words, even if you're a great cinematographer and camera operator, don't expect your videos to encode as well as film.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Recording All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: