dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Encoding Canopus DV 16:9 footage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BretL

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb 2004, 4:42    Post subject: Encoding Canopus DV 16:9 footage Reply with quote

I'm trying to encode a small flic I did for someone with TMPGEnc, latest version. It's 1 hour 48 minutes long shot on a sony dsr500w, and shot in widescreen.(I guess I'm not sure if it can be shot another way)
My video card is a Canopus RexRT, I edit with Premiere 6.5.
I authorize with Sonic ReelDVD ver.3.01.

So far all I've ever encoded is standard 720x480 footage with Tmpgenc and everything has worked fine so far. But this widescreen footage(856x480) I'm having some problems with. Problem being is I can't encode it. After I have all the settings I think I should have everthing set to and then push start. It says something about MPEG stream at this level not accepted. Or something like that. I didn't write it down.
I can change from MP@ML to MP@LL and it will encode but it either looks bad with a fuzzy vertical bar on the side or ReelDVD won't accept it.

I'm realy lost here I could use some guidance please. Settings and such.

Thanks, Bret
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb 2004, 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've already answered this via e-mail, but here goes again in case someone reading this is having the same problem:

The footage is not actually 856x480. DV footage is always 720x576 (for PAL) or 720x480 (for NTSC). Some Canopus drivers report a wrong size to make sure the players show the files with the correct aspect ratio (this is, IMO, a very, VERY stupid hack, but Canopus take ages to fix their drivers, so my hopes aren't too high that they'll fix this soon). You don't say how you're exporting your movie to TMPGEnc (using AVI files or via a frameserver).

To make TMPGEnc see the real image size (without having to go through any recompression) you need to "fool" the Canopus driver into reporting the real image size. Here's how you can do that:

1. Start a new project in Premiere (Canopus DV, 4:3, 720x480, for NTSC)

2. If your movie is all in one AVI, import that AVI into the timeline.

3. If your project is a Premiere Project file, merge that file into the new timeline.

4. You now have a 4:3 project that will display the original (16:9) movie in 4:3 (note that no images were actually resized, all this does is tell Premiere - and the Canopus driver - to show the footage as 4:3).

5. Export this new project to TMPGEnc using a frameserver, as described in the Frameserving guide.

6. In TMPGEnc, set both the source and destination aspect ratios to 16:9, and set the size (in pixels) to 720x480.

That should do the trick.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: