dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Capturing with Matrox card (2GB limit)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enzoferarri

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb 2004, 15:24    Post subject: Capturing with Matrox card (2GB limit) Reply with quote

I am in the process of trying to transfer all of my old Hi-8 and DV Cam family movies over to DVD. I have a Matrox RT card that I used to capture all the video...using AVI format. I then downloaded the most recent eval version of TMPGenc Plus to encode, and TMPGenc DVD Author to finish and burn. All went well on the first file. However, on the second Hi-8 clip, which I captured in Premiere 6.0 using the Matrox interface, the encode crashed...or froze. I transferred the 6 GB file over the network, and the encode (Settings: NTSC DVD encode, tried both MP2 and PCM audio, 8000 Avg. BR, 720 x 480 res, all other setting default...PC is an AMD 2700, 512 Kingston, ATI All-in-wonder 8500 video card) just stops refreshing the video screen. It was about 16 minutes into the clip...the encoding continues, but no further frames of video show up. Interesting enough, the audio rolls on. Then at the end of the encode, I didn't get a popup that say finished...the progress bar just says 100%. So I burned it anyway, and exactly as I saw on the encode preview, the video stops, and the audio continues. So I recaptured the whole clip. Transferred it to the encode system. This time the encode did the same thing about 45 seconds later in the clip. No coasters this time. So I tried another clip that was captured on the same Matrox RT system. Same result...the preview window just stops updating. I was thinking about downloaded another encoder, but my impression from what I read is that TMPGenc is quite good, and is stable. Suggestions? Other encoders, which are as easy to use? Thanks in advance.

Enzo Ferarri
enzoferarri

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb 2004, 16:27    Post subject: Potential DUH Reply with quote

I just noticed that each problematic AVI file that I bring over to the system that I am encoding with, when I played them in MS Media player, or Player 2, is only 9:38 in length. I know that I captured much more than that in each file. I guess I just hit the 2 GB AVI 1.0 limit. How do I work around this? Is there a setting to use AVI 2.0 in Premiere 6.0? I'm on Windows 2000, so I have no other file size restrictions.

Enzo Ferarri
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb 2004, 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can probably find more information about this in the Matrox user forums.

The type of AVI file used by Premiere depends on the capture driver, it's not set by Premiere itself. Not all cards / drivers support AVI2 (OpenDML) files, but since Matrox were one of the creators of the OpenDML format, your driver should be able to. Look for promising options in the capture window (ex., under "Capture Settings") or in Matrox's software.

Alternatively, some capture cards' drivers (perhaps including yours) have an option to automatically create multiple files. If your has that option, you can use it instead.

If you really can't find a way to enable AVI2 files or to do automatic file spanning, the best solution is to use batch lists and capture in smaller chunks (ex., 5 minutes per file). After you create a batch file, keep it for use with other tapes; it's much easier than creating it from scratch every time (ex., make a file that captures 5 minute chunks from 0:00:00:00 to 1:00:00:00, and then just disbale the parts you don't want to capture).

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Editing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: