dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions Desired for Compression of an Advanced Slideshow

View previous topic :: View next topic  
overhill

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar 2004, 21:39    Post subject: Suggestions Desired for Compression of an Advanced Slideshow Reply with quote

With Video Vegas LE 3.0 I have created a 5.5 minute photograph slideshow set to music. All of the photographs are shown with some combination of pans and zooms. The original photographs come from a dSLR camera, so they are very high quality and I want this to show in the final DVD. I am rendering the video as uncompressed video in Video Vegas and then using TMPGEnc for the MPEG2 encoding. Right now I am just experimenting with a small 10 second clip to try and get the compression settings right. I am using a CBR of 8000kbps and have found that changing some of the I, P, and B GOP settings make large differences. I found that raising the number of P pictures to 7 (from 1) drastically improved the quality. However, I can still tell the difference between the MPEG2 and the uncompressed video. As closely as possible I want to duplicate the uncompressed video. As long as the resulting MPEG2 can be burned to DVD and played on a standard DVD player, I have no real limitations regarding file size.

I have read the compression FAQ on this site, but I still feel uneducated regarding some of the finer points of I, P, and B GOP settings. I would really appreciate any help on recommended settings to that I don't have to continue learning via trial and error. Thanks! Smile
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon 15 Mar 2004, 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a lot of I pictures would give you great quality if you didn't have a bitrate limit. Unfortunately, DVD is limited to 9800 Kb/s (and you really shouldn't use more than 8000 for video, if you want it to be compatible with older players).

I pictures give you the best quality, but need very high bitrates (much higher than DVD supports). P pictures are slightly inferior in quality (especially if the image moves very fast) but need less bits. B pictures are worse than P pictures, but need much less bits, so they're good when you are limited to a lower bitrate.

If you use IP\, the compressor doesn't really have anywhere it can "save" bits, so there aren't enough to make the I pictures look good. Since P pictures are based on the previous I picture, this makes everything look terrible.

Fast motion sometimes looks better with IPPPP\, but if each frame is similar to the previous one, long sequences of P pictures will look fine, and save some bits that can be used to improve the I pictures. So IPPPPPPP\ or even IPPPPPPPPPPPPPP\ are good GOPs for 8000 Kb/s.

So that's probably as good as it gets. If your pans and zooms are reasonably slow, you can probably increase the number of P pictures (to 14, for example) and get slightly better quality.

But it will never look quite as good as the original (uncompressed, high-resolution) stills. Remember, DVD is meant for the same market as VHS; it's not a professional video format.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: