dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Realtime Software

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henry

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2003, 10:01    Post subject: Best Realtime Software Reply with quote

My friend has used TMPGENC, ULEAD products (DVDWS, MSP, VSP), Intervideo (WINDVD Producer, Creator), NeoDVD etc.

He said
- Intervideo softwares, fast (1:1) and good result (with low CPU consumption, 50-60%)
- TMPGENC, too slow but great output (80-90% CPU)
- NeoDVD, fast (1:1) but low quality
- ULead, slow with acceptable quality (80-90% CPU)

Shall I change to use WINDVD Creator to capture my DV?

Thanks.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2003, 3:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what those figures are supposed to mean. Any well-written computationally-intensive program (ex., video encoder, 3D renderer, etc.) should use very close to 100% of the available CPU cycles. If an encoder is only putting a 50% load on the CPU, then there's probably something wrong with the code (i.e., why isn't it using the remaining CPU cycles?).

Anyway, ultimately it boils down to how much time you have and the level of quality you want. It's up to you to decide if faster encoding is worth worse quality (or a more expensive encoder). Most people seem to agree that TMPGEnc and CinemaCraft (CCE) have the best quality. TMPGEnc is slow and cheap, CCE is fast and expensive. Ligos LSX is somewhere in the middle (slightly worse quality, not quite as fast as CCE, but much more affordable).

I've never tried Intervideo's encoder, so I really can't talk about it.

Also, capturing and encoding are two diferent things. Native DV capture is the same in any program; the difference lies in the encoding process, that converts the DV clips to MPEG-2.

RMN
~~~
Henry

PostPosted: Wed 14 May 2003, 5:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMN,

Thx for your info. Very Happy
alex_hui

PostPosted: Wed 14 May 2003, 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMN,

I have used Intervideo WINDVD Creator, it's really faster with good quality. Would you please dl the trial version and test it. Look forward to see your professional comment.

Thx,

Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: