dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why won't Impression use my M2V file(s)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
awtkast

PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar 2004, 18:49    Post subject: Why won't Impression use my M2V file(s) Reply with quote

Hi. I am having a problem with my video compression that I hope someone can help me with.

I have a 30(+/-) minute video that I have captured as a DivX *.avi file. I want to author a DVD with this captured video. I am using Impression and would like to make custom menus (which I have already made in Photoshop with nice buttons laid out and ready to import into Impression).

My problem is as follows:

I need to compress the video and import it into Pinnacle Impression. Every time I have tried compressing it to a *.m2v file, Impression does not seem to work with the end result. I have tried using both Adobe Premiere and TMPGEnc (following the guide on this web site) to no avail. I can import the file into Impression, but when I drag the file into the video timeline, Impression locks up.

I tried converting the file using Adobe Premiere and exporting the file as a Windows DV *.avi. This worked great except the output to a UDF in Impression was going to be ~7GB for a 1/2 hour of footage....no good. Does this mean that the problem is not in Impression since I can author and output a DVD? If not, then how can I be exporting from two different applications for my compression (DivX to m2v using Premiere and DivX to m2v using TMPGEnc) and neither of these compressed output files being compatible with Impression?

This doesn't make sense to me. Any help would be appreciated. I feel I am missing something.

BTW, I'm exporting the audio seperately using Adobe Premiere. I can drag the *.wav file into the timeline in Impression and no lock-up. If I try and drag the video (m2v) file into the timeline, it locks-up. Except in the case of the WindowsDV AVI file. No lock-up. When I exported the WindowsDV AVI file I did that one as a single file containing both video and audio streams.

When I authored the WindowsDV AVI file I added the menus and chapter marks and everything works great. No problems. The output is too big. I would like to learn to work with MPEG2 files anyway. That way I can use better quality media (my capture is from VHS and not that great to begin with but I am thinking of future projects).

I have found some information that has been helpful on this forum, but I'm afraid there are some things I just don't understand as far as the correct use and implementation of these settings and parameters (especially using TMPGEnc).

Thanks in advance for all the help and for your time.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 26 Mar 2004, 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a few tests (with small clips, to save time) to see if any particular setting is causing the problem.

Namely, try using CBR instead of VBR (ex., at 6 Mb/s), try closing all GOPs, and try making a system stream instead of an elementary stream.

I don't have Impression so I really can't say what the problem might be.

Note that if you record an AVI file to a DVD, it will not play on a DVD player; it'll be a data disc. When you import an AVI into a DVD video project, the authoring program should convert it to MPEG-2. The MPEG encoders built into the authoring programs usually aren't very good, though, so you're better off converting the file to MPEG-2 first.

Don't start adding menus and chapters, etc., until you can make a "plain" (single-movie) DVD that works.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: