dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TMPGEnc 2.5 help needed - dvd resolution problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cars76

PostPosted: Fri 9 Jul 2004, 0:55    Post subject: TMPGEnc 2.5 help needed - dvd resolution problem Reply with quote

Hi, I've been trying to convert a subtitled avi to mpeg2 for a dvd, but the top and bottom of the picture is always cut so the subs are only partially shown. It sounds identical to this post except I didn't make the subs. I have tried setting the video stream size to valid NTSC dvd sizes (352x480, 704x480, 720x480), Video arrange method to fullscreen aspect ratio, along with various other changes which have not worked.

The source avi is 640x480 animated show running at 23.9x fps. Can someone tell me what the Video/Advanced menu settings should be?

I've read the TMpgEnc guide at http://dvd-hq.info/Compression.html, but still no luck.

Somehow i've managed to get close so that the bottom subs are completely visible using these settings:

Video stream size: 640x464, aspect ratio 4:3.
Video source aspect ratio: 1:1 vga, video arrange - Center

I've been burning to dvd using Nerovision express 2.

Lastly, does anyone know of a program that will let me view the mpeg at NTSC tv resolution so I can see if the picture's correct before I burn the dvd?

Thanks
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 9 Jul 2004, 4:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the subtitles are burned in (i.e., part of the image), right? If so, the problem is that the movie was either created for computer playback (with the subtitles very close to the edge) or it was cropped during capture (from a PAL original).

The solution is to resize the video so that you're left with a black border in the area that TVs normally don't show.

The stream size, however (in the "video" tab), needs to be set to 720x480, or it won't be DVD-legal.

On the "Advanced" tab set the arrange method to "Center (custom size)" and adjust the movie size manually using the boxes below. I would suggest a size around 640 x 430. This will leave a 10% margin and keep the right aspect ratio on NTSC (assuming the original was square-pixel).

Playing back on a PC will never let you accurately preview how much the TV will crop, because PC monitors don't crop at all. In fact, different TV sets crop different amounts. Usually they'll crop between 5 and 10%, so leaving a 10% margin (5% on each side) should be about right.

If you want to know how much your TV crops, play back a movie on your PC, then play the same scene back on your TV, and see how much of the image is missing.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: