dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preserving video information from a DVD-rip (interlacing?!)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rendezvous

PostPosted: Mon 3 Jan 2005, 1:22    Post subject: Preserving video information from a DVD-rip (interlacing?!) Reply with quote

Hi there, everyone. Wink

It was a toss-up between the 'authoring' sub-forum, or this one - hopefully I've posted this in the right place!

I'm in the process of trying to author a DVD - but I want to use the credit & intro sequence from an alternate source (a U.S. DVD of the same film).

I've managed to rip the alternate DVD in it's entirity to my harddisc using DVDDecrypter - which all went fine. If I use PowerDVD or Media Player Classic to open all of the DVD files to watch the movie, again, it all looks fine.

If however, I open the individual VOB file in which the section of video I require is stored (be it PowerDVD, Media Player Classic or VirtualDubMod), something odd happens:

The main section of the movie is fine (unfortunately redundant, 'cos I don't need that) - but during both the intro & the credits sequence at the end of the film, the video alternates between the U.S. english sequence & the Japanese language sequence every 36 frames or so. These aren't subtitles - this is video.

I tried simply manually deleting the frames I didn't want from within VirtualDubMod, which was acceptable for the intro - but not for the credits, as they appear to be properly interlaced at times (i.e. every 35th/36th frame will be an interlaced image of both the Japanese & English image) and I don't want to lose frames if at all possible ('cso it'll look jerky) - and I suspect I might be even be losing 50% of the image by doing this process if the images are actually interlaced.

As a complete newbie with regards to this kind of thing, I'm assuming that the information concerning how these frames should be displayed is lost by opening the individual VOB files - but I don't know how to preserve this information when transferring the video to AVI or MPG etc.

If anyone has any insight that I might benefit from (other than where to stick my DVD), I would be most grateful! Thanks in advance. Shocked
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon 3 Jan 2005, 3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you I'd try ripping it with a different program. With some luck, it will extract just the right stream. My guess is they're using a multi-angle stream on the DVD (where each angle is a different language), and the ripper is getting a bit confused.

I don't see how some frames could be interlaced, though. It wouldn't make any sense to have them interlaced in the actual video stream. Assuming it's a 24 fps DVD, it's up to the (NTSC) player to interlace during playback (3/2 pulldown), but the ripper should ignore that and extract only the original 24 frames. Weird.

RMN
~~~
Rendezvous

PostPosted: Mon 3 Jan 2005, 7:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, hey!

It seems you were exactly right. Smile I've just finished getting a little more acquainted with SmartRipper and it worked perfectly when I opted to extract a specific viewing angle (the first of the two available).

I was confused about the interlacing thing, too - quite why or how they got mixed up like that when not opened via the proper DVD menu is rather beyond my comprehension at present - but I'm just glad to have finally got this movie edited as it should be! Smile

Now for the audio ... *lol*

Thanks for your assistance, rmn - I think I owe you a beer.
Will Turner

PostPosted: Tue 22 Feb 2005, 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rendezvous, have you been able to successfully convert the VOB files to AVI? If so, would you share your method with me. I've tried everything, it seems, including Flaskmpeg. Whatever I use, creates a file that Premiere won't open. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Editing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: