dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

blurry result?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
koolguysj

PostPosted: Sat 25 Dec 2004, 19:12    Post subject: blurry result? Reply with quote

Why is it that everytime i encode my avi source files to high quality mpeg-2 format, following the guideline provided here, with around 6000 kbps, my mpeg-2 file would look a bit blurrier or not as sharp as the original avi source file? Is this normal? or is the result suppose to look as good as the source or better since the result is dvd already?....any answer would be appreciatted.
koolguysj

PostPosted: Sat 25 Dec 2004, 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that i have also tried the "Sharpen Edge", "Ghost Reduction", and "Noise Reduction" filter with same result.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec 2004, 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say what your source is, so I'm going to assume it's a full-resolution professional or semi-professional format (DV, Beta, etc.).

When you play back DVDs or MPEG-2 files on your computer, the software player will deinterlace the image, to avoid jagged edges. It typically does this by blending both fields together. This halves the vertical resolution and makes the image look a bit blurry. If you play the resulting DVD back on a TV, it should look normal. It will not look as good as the original (DVD is not a professional format; it's only really meant to compete with VHS), but it should not look blurry.

RMN
~~~
koolguysj

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec 2004, 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely right, when i watched the mpeg-2 file with windows media player, it looks kind of foggy. But when i watch it on a normal tv, it looks sharp Very Happy.
koolguysj

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec 2004, 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i apply the "Noise reduction" and "Ghost reduction", would my mpeg-2 quality or sharpness be degraded in anyway? The reason is because i've used these filters before and my resulted mpeg-2 file seem to not look as sharp as the ones with no filters. I just need to know if applying the "Noise reduction" and "Ghost reduction" will degrade my mpeg-2 file quality? thanx
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed 29 Dec 2004, 3:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on what you mean by "quality". Quality is a subjective concept. If a given clip is very noisy (full of grain), then eliminating that grain (even if it makes the image look slightly blurred) might make it look "better".

Noise reduction filters work by eliminating very small detail (that the filter assumes is caused by random noise), so in general they will make it look less sharp. You can usually tweak some parameters to find the ideal balance of noise reduction and loss of sharpness for each clip, but there's always a tradeoff.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: