dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which TMPGEnc product to get

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ishinryu

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec 2004, 10:16    Post subject: Which TMPGEnc product to get Reply with quote

I have recently ended a 30-day trial of TMPGEncPlus and was keen on buying over the internet then I saw TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress. The pricing is not too different especially when the later is bought as a bundle with TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6. There is also TMPGEnc DVD Source Creator 2.0.
Question is which of these three should I buy?
I am not a professional and just capturing, editing and producing home videos. I have a number of old vhs tapes which so far have not been encoded to my satisfaction using TMPGEnc 2.5 so I wonder if the "Plus" version or "Source Creator" would do better?
I like DVD Author and have not found anything else that suits me better.
Advice please.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec 2004, 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the encoder portion itself is identical in all "flavours" of TMPGEnc. The difference is mainly in the interface. VHS is always hard to encode because it has a lot of noise. Since there's no way an encoder can know what is noise ans what is "real" image detail, it will waste a lot of time and space trying to preserve that noise, instead of using the full bandwidth to preserve the (real) detail. You can try applying a few noise-reduction filters to the image before encoding, but they'll probably make you lose some detail, too.

RMN
~~~
ishinryu

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec 2004, 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see ... but what about the claims that Xpress and Source Creator have faster engines? Should I trial before I buy or do you have a preference for a particular product that you could share?
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec 2004, 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only looked at them brifly and haven't really compared their speed and quality properly. From what I read, I think they changed mainly the interface and the loaders (decoders), to make it work better with DirectShow, Windows Media files, etc.. The only part of the encoder that has actually been changed is the audio compressor.

If you look at the description on their site:

Quote:
"TMPGEnc DVD Source Creator" is based on TMPGEnc and developed for users to easily produce MPEG-2 files for high quality DVD.
- New interface based on project wizard, it's easy-to-use

But there's a trial version, so you can download it and compare the results (and speed). I might do the same when I have some free time, but now I'm a bit busy with some other projects.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: