dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

YUV format option?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
koolguysj

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec 2004, 8:39    Post subject: YUV format option? Reply with quote

Under the YUV format option, i cannot seem to find the 4:1:1 option that u have talked about in the guideline. I have tried to change the Profile and level to see if i can select 4:1:1, but it is nowhere to be found. Can someone explain how i can select that option or why it's talked about in the guideline, but not available in TMPgenc plus?...thanx
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec 2004, 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't. DVD MPEG-2 using the MP@ML profile is always 4:2:0. If you switch to HP@HL you can use 4:2:2 (the same sampling used in Betacam, for example), but it won't be compatible with all set-top players.

4:1:1 is the sampling pattern used by NTSC DV. When you make a DVD from NTSC DV, this has to be converted to 4:2:0, which causes vertical colour bleed in addition to the (original, NTSC) horizontal colour bleed. This is the reason why DVDs made from PAL DV look significantly better than DVDs made from NTSC DV (PAL DV uses 4:2:0 sampling to begin with).

RMN
~~~
koolguysj

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec 2004, 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way or any other encoding program that will encode my avi source file to mpeg-2 with less reddish (colour bleed) or TMPgenc is one of the best already and any other encoding program will result in reddish colour bleed? Another thing i'm curious about is when i put my finished mpeg-2 into a standard dvd and watch it on my normal tv (not flat screen), i notice that the colour is reddish and when i watch it on another tv (sony flat screen), it looks perfectly sharp and normal. Does this mean that my final mpeg-2 is fine and that the reddish colouring that i see on the old tv is due to it's settings? i'm just a little confused about the colour bleed part. I have tested my resulted mpeg-2 film on three tv and only one gave me reddish colour.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec 2004, 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colour bleed refers to colour from some objects "bleeding" past the object's edges, it doesn't actually change the tone of the colours. From what you say, I think the problem is clearly being caused by the "hardware" (either the TV or the cable), and not the disc's actual contents. TMPGEnc should not make any noticeable difference to the overall hue unless you specifically apply some colour filters.

As to the colour bleeding itself, there isn't anything you can do about it, as long as you're using NTSC DV. NTSC Betacam doesn't have this problem, since it uses 4:2:2 sampling.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: