dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TMPG crashes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alban

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jul 2004, 2:01    Post subject: TMPG crashes Reply with quote

Symptoms:
From AvidXpres I export to AvidQuickref., mov file.
while encoding .mov file with TMPG the program crashes; the program is not responding and even the pc itself has trouble to respond if i let the program crash to total halt; this is a brandnew pc; the test run with TMPG and the second run after that (with other files) did well, then the problems began. first it kept freezing at about 50%(=half hour of video), sometimes it seemed solved after a re-install but then it came back with a revenge. now it freezes at 2-6%; encoding program reinstalled, several times; other versions (re-)installed; re-installed os. finally think it is not this software at all that causes it to crash(no broken frames either, the whole set -up with AvidXpres, Tmpg, same files, works perfectly on other computers, not mine though). beginning to think it might be the videocard or maybe codecs that are incompatible, or even hardware failure.
i do internet files encoding too (with Cleaner XL, 15 hrs per batch) and that doesn't give any problems;
I uninstalled nero, didn't change anything, same with quicktime and Intervideo.
I did change the Directshow prioritysettings, didn't change things either.
We have been trying to get this to work for several months now, the miracle must be out there somewhere.....
Thank you! Alban Very Happy

the specs:
P4 3.0ghz 512K 800FSB CPU CMPL
512MB DDR333 PC2700 DIMM
HDD 120GB 7200rpm IDE
GEforce FX 5200 8x 128 MBw/tv out
pioneer dvd-rw 4x (the pc came with 16x DVD-ROM CMPL)
CDRW 52x24x52 CMPL
56K V92 PCI modem
WinXPpro (the pc came w/WinXPhome)
Firewire 3-port PCI card
D865G Foxconn Matx w/300 base
Tiger-Syx XPH FXcon Matx brand

TmpgEnc version 259.47.155 Plus EN
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jul 2004, 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, TMPGEnc does not support .MOV files natively. Have you installed any 3rd part filters?

RMN
~~~
Alban

PostPosted: Thu 9 Sep 2004, 5:22    Post subject: no solution but to drop Avid Reply with quote

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know, that I (we) could not get it to work. We seemed to have everything we needed to have it working, even the third party components.

When we tried the whole thing with Adobe Premiere, and it worked. But we do not use .mov-files now.
Very Happy

Thank you,
Alban
Tumblemark

PostPosted: Sun 9 Jan 2005, 3:06    Post subject: My system crashes, too, with .MOV files Reply with quote

you said : "no "normal" program can crash Windows 2000 (or XP Pro, or NT). If your system is crashing, you have either a hardware problem or a buggy driver (it can be indirectly caused by a program crash, but if the hardware and drivers are reliable, only the program will crash, not the system)."

However, my very stable XP Pro system locks up (no cursor movement, Ctl+AlT+Del doesn't work, hard reboot required) when I attempt to play an .mov movie. I've spend days trying to find the problem without success.

I've uninstalled Nero and every other thing I could think of, including Apple QT. removed any reference to mov or Quicktime from the registry, installed the latest nVidia drivers, etc. Then reinstalled Quicktime Alternative (I'm keeping away from the bloated new QT with iTunes). Now Irfan viewer or Media Player Classic will play a few .mov files if selected from their File>Open menus, but almost never by double clicking an .mov file. After a few successful plays, sometimes none, my system locks completely. No other video/audio files cause any problems. Video editing and DVD creation is no problem. GSpot will examine .mov files OK, but when attempting to Render one, after about 10% of the progress bar: lockup.

I suspect a funky driver .dll is lurking somewhere--but which one?

Help!!
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun 9 Jan 2005, 6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your whole system freezes, I suspect the problem is being caused either by your graphics card's driver, your sound card's driver or (more likey) by DirectX. Make sure you update to the latest version of all three (update DirectX first, then the drivers from the manufacturers' sites).

BTW, when your computer is "frozen", does the NumLock key toggle the keyboard LED, or not? That's usually a good way of telling if the system has actually locked up or if it has simply stopped updating the screen.

If the light does toggle, when the system freezes, try pressing these keys the next time it happens: Windows key, up arrow, return, (wait a few seconds) return. This sequence should send your system into standby (turning off the monitor), and pressing any key will bring it out of it, hopefully re-initialising the video driver. This works with some DirectX-related problems.

RMN
~~~
Tumblemark

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jan 2005, 2:36    Post subject: Problem solved - but how? Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it.

Naturally, I had already tried all your suggestions--without success. But since you seemed to know lots more than I, I tried them again. As is usually the case, I don't remember exactly what I did. I used Control Panel to have a look at my various drivers but I turned off only one (Spiro Labs Telecom audio driver; what the heck is that!). Otherwise, everything seemed in order. I saw only 2 Creative Labs drivers, with Microsoft audio drivers everywhere else, so I left them (I'm wary of Creative's tendency to install tons of problems). Then I noticed that the Control Panel still had an Apple QuickTime icon--even though I did my best to uninstall and delete every vestige of Apple QT (QuickTime Alternative is installed). I opened the icon and unchecked every option except .MOV, which was locked on. The video card driver was already the latest, from my earlier frustrations. Finally, I installed the latest DirectX 9.0c (c!), though DirectX 9 was already installed.

Then, without any reboot or other actions (except creating a Restore point). suddenly .MOV files play just fine in Irfanview by double-clicking the file, even on a CD; Media Player Classic also opens .MOV without problems (both presumably using the QT Alt codecs). Amazing! (for now at least)

So there's the lesson: do what's right, even if you think you've done it already. Thanks very much! Here's my return: for those of us who don't use a Windows keyboard the (super secret) keys to enter Suspend mode in XP are Ctl+Esc then u. Thanks again!
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jan 2005, 4:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use a Windows keyboard, actually, but everyone else seems to. Wink

BTW, the "u" only works in English versions of Windows, while [up arrow],[return] works in any version. Smile

Just one thing: generally it's a good idea to install your grphics card's driver after you install DirectX, or some functions (ex., OpenGL) will sometimes not be recognised by some programs.

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: