dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TMPgenc problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
baa

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan 2005, 6:03    Post subject: TMPgenc problem Reply with quote

Hi there!
I ran into a problem while trying to compress a .m2v file using TMPgenc. The problem is that the program does not seem to go through the whole file length. The progress bar indicates that all 100% had been completed but, in fact, the output video misses final 30 minutes of the video. The original file is 1:58:23 in length and the output file is only 1:28:??.
I have tried to do it again, using the same settings (except for the encoding mode; I changed it to non-interlaced from interlaced) and I noticed that the source position started showing only in the middle of the progress; that is when the output file actually started growing in size (before that it was zero). I do not really know what the problem is. My only guess is that the size of the source file is too big (5.28 GB), but I am new to working with video and DVD in particular, so...
TMPgenc's setting were set pretty much the same as indicated in the guide (from "Guides & articles" section of the site).

Quote:
Stream type: Mpeg-2 video
Size: 720 x 480
Aspect ratio: 16:9
Frame rate: 29.97 fps
Rate control mode: 2- pass VBR
Average bitrate: 4600
Max. bitrate: 8000
Min. bitrate: 2000
Max pass: 2 pass
Enable padding ... : unchecked
P picture spoilage: 0
B picture spoilage: 20
VBV buffer size: automatic
Profile and level: MP@ML
Video format: NTSC
Encode mode: non-interlace
YUV format: 4:2:0
DC component precision: 10 bits
Motion search precision: high quality

Video source type: progressive
File order: bottom field first
Source aspect ratio: 16:9 525 lines (NTSC)
Video arrange method: center
All filters are unchecked

Number of I pictures: 1
Number of P pictures: 4
Number of B pictures: 1
Output interval of sequence header: 1
Max number of frames: 18
Output bitstream for edit: unchecked
Detect scene change: enabled
Force picture type setting: unchecked

Quantize matrix: default
Output YUV data as ... : enabled
Use floating point DCT: enabled
No motion search ... : unchecked
Soften block noise: unchecked

Stream type: ES (video only)

The source .m2v file was extracted from .vob (NTSC DVD) using SmartRipper.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan 2005, 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you open the "force picture type setting" window in TMPGEnc (in the GOP options tab) and scroll to the end, do you see the last frame of the movie, or is it also incomplete?

Also, if you play the source file (using Media Player or PowerDVD, for example), does the end play correctly?

RMN
~~~
baa

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan 2005, 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmn wrote:
If you open the "force picture type setting" window in TMPGEnc (in the GOP options tab) and scroll to the end, do you see the last frame of the movie, or is it also incomplete?

Yes, I can see the last frame.

Quote:
Also, if you play the source file (using Media Player or PowerDVD, for example), does the end play correctly?

I am not sure what you mean by that, but I guess it does. Smile
baa

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jan 2005, 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to do it again with a different file and I've got the same results Sad
The file was 1:28:00 in length and output file is only 1:03:09.
While compressing, the progress bar went all the way up to the 50% mark and then, if you look at the preview screen, the video starts from the beginnig. Also that is the mark when the source position starts moving (same thing with frames or GOPs (whatever is indicated next to the progress bar)).
In the end, when the compression is completed, the progress bar indicated 100% and the source position showed 01:28:00.
It's really weird and I don't really know what could cause this problem Sad
I tried to reinstall the TMPGenc, entered all the settings again but it didn't help Sad.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan 2005, 4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

baa wrote:
While compressing, the progress bar went all the way up to the 50% mark and then, if you look at the preview screen, the video starts from the beginnig.

Yes, that is normal if you're in 2-pass mode.

If TMPGEnc can see the last frame, that means it can read the full source file. And if it says it processed everything until the last frame, it's because it did.

The problem must be either a) when saving the destination file (i.e., TMPGEnc tried to save, but the file system ignored bytes beyond a certain address) or b) when trying to read it (i.e., the program opening the file cannot read beyond a certain point).

What operating system are you using? Is your drive formatted in FAT or NTFS? Have you run CheckDisk, ScanDisk or some other disk checking utility recently?

Also, what makes you say that the resulting file is only 1:03:09? Which program did you use to open it? Even if the file is complete, some programs will only read the first 4 GB. Have you tried opening the resulting (.M2V) file in more than one program? If you open it with TMPGEnc itself, is it also missing the end?

RMN
~~~
baa

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan 2005, 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Windows XP Pro. The file system is NTSC, of course, and the drive is fine Smile
Both, Windows Media Player and TMGEnc, show that the resulting file is 1:03:09. The file size is under 4 GB.
Is there a limit in size of the file that TMGEnc is able to work with?
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jan 2005, 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you mean NTFS. NTSC is a video standard. Smile

TMPGEnc itself should not have any problems with big files. It can have some problems reading AVI files longer than 4GB, because some AVI formats (AVI type 1) don't supoport them (and TMPGEnc reads the AVIs through the Windows APIs), but if you can see all the frames in the "picture type setting" window, then TMPGEnc is reading the whole file.

Try running a full disk check on the drive; sometimes file system corruption can make some files appear to have the wrong size.

BTW, what is the format of the source file (resolution, codec and frame rate)?

RMN
~~~
baa

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jan 2005, 4:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmn wrote:
I hope you mean NTFS. NTSC is a video standard. Smile

Laughing
Must have been thinking about the stupid file or something, while writing that Laughing

Quote:
BTW, what is the format of the source file (resolution, codec and frame rate)?

The codec is MPEG-2, frame rate is 29.970 f/s, and resolution is 720x480. It's a NTSC video, 16:9 with the average bitrate of 7526.

Also I just noticed, that GSpot indicates that it is an interlaced video as opposed to Bitrate viewer says that it is progressive. I don't know what to believe Confused When compressing I set the source setting to non-interlaced; could that cause the problem?

Last edited by baa on Fri 28 Jan 2005, 4:28; edited 1 time in total
baa

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jan 2005, 4:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, almost forgot, the disk check does not shows any errors. Smile
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jan 2005, 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the interlace setting shouldn't make any difference during encoding. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other "normal" reason why your file should be missing the end. Perhaps some error in the original file is confusing TMPGEnc? But in that case it should report the error (or at least stop at N%, instead of going all the way to 100%. Try using TMPGEnc's "source range" filter to encode just the end, and see if it works.

Also, try loading the original and the resulting (incomplete) files into VirtualDub and see if it reports anything unusual.

RMN
~~~
baa

PostPosted: Wed 2 Feb 2005, 6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your help Very Happy
Nothing seems to work, though. I haven't tried loading it to virtualdub yet but I don't really have much time now Sad. Maybe in a few days.
Is there any other program that would compress .m2v files and give quality equal or better than TMPGEnc?

By the way, you have a really greate site here. I've found many interesting and helpful things. Thanks. Smile
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed 2 Feb 2005, 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

CinemaCraft SP more or less matches TMPGEnc in terms of quality (and it's faster), but it's pretty expensive.

RMN
~~~
baa

PostPosted: Thu 3 Feb 2005, 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "more or less matches the quality", do you mean that it actually does not? How expensive is it?
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu 3 Feb 2005, 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean it depends on the type of footage. On some things it's slighty better than TMPGEnc, on some things it's slightly worse. Overall, the results are very similar, but CinemaCraft is about 2 to 4 times faster than TMPGEnc.

The price of the full version is around $2000, if I remember correctly. There is a cheaper version that will only encode in CBR. But you can download a trial version of the "SP" (full) encoder, to see if it works correctly with your files.

http://www.cinemacraft.com/eng/index.html

RMN
~~~
Taylor

PostPosted: Wed 9 Feb 2005, 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the CinemaCraft encoder (the basic $58 version). It does 2-pass VBR.

The CinemaCraft SP allows for multiple passes VBR (up to 10 and beyond). That's partly why it costs $2,000.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: