dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TMPEGenc Deinterlace filter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rons

PostPosted: Fri 11 Feb 2005, 14:25    Post subject: TMPEGenc Deinterlace filter Reply with quote

Just realised that I posted this in authoring by mistake, my apologies, anyway......

I am using TMPEGenc 3.0 for encoding and can't seem to get my DVD to play smoothly. Whenever I have moving images, specifically still pics moving across or up and down the screen, the edges appear jagged and the pictures are slightly blurred. I know this topic has been covered before but I can't seem to figure this out from other posts. This seems to be an interlace issue but I'm not sure which setting I have wrong. First of all, under filters, the deinterlace filter is automatically checked and I can't uncheck it because it is greyed out. Is this always supposed to be on? 2nd, when the Deinterlace window is up, underneath the monitor in the drop down menu I have "deinterlace when necessary"....this gives me jagged edges and blurry pics. When I choose "Deinterlace", it sharpens the picture up in the preview monitor and the jagged edges go away...but when I burn a DVD, it still plays back with the jagged edges. I have a mixture of moving stills and video. I am using DVDit for authoring and I am outputting from TMPEGenc at 29.97, interlaced. Hope someone can help.....Ron.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 11 Feb 2005, 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your source (format and resolution)?

You should generally not apply any kind of deinterlacing; that will only make you lose half the vertical resolution. Video is supposed to be interlaced and players expect it to be. On a TV or video monitor, deinterlaced footage not only has a lower resolution, but the motion is also less fluid.

If the settings are locked, you probably loaded one of TMPGEnc's presets. Load the "unlock" preset (inside the templates folder, IIRC) to put everything back to "manual".

If you are playing the DVD back on a computer monitor, make sure your DVD player (ex., PowerDVD) is deinterlacing during playback.

P.S. - DVDit is masochistware. Wink

RMN
~~~
Rons

PostPosted: Fri 11 Feb 2005, 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 15 minute sequence with a mixture of video (Mini DV) and moving JPEGs created in AvidExpressPro. I export as a quicktime Ref file which I've read in several places works in TMPEGenc. I am currently at work but I will try loading the unlock preset when i get home....thanks for your help........Ron.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat 12 Feb 2005, 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read about several people having problems with Quicktime files. If you have a chance, try doing the same with a DV AVI file and see if you have the same problem.

RMN
~~~
Rons

PostPosted: Mon 14 Feb 2005, 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I didn't exactly figure out what I was doing wrong, but I am now successfully burning DVDs and they are playing back fine. I am pretty much just using the DVD template provided by TMPEGenc and just changing the VBR/CBR and bitrate (max,ave, and min) Not sure which settings I had wrong before but thanks to everyone that responded...Ron.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: