dvd-hq.info Forum Index dvd-hq.info
DVD & video forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not quite there !!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEORGE 111

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun 2005, 4:44    Post subject: Not quite there !! Reply with quote

Been reading through the various posts and topics on compression/quality of finished product etc, and it seems I'm not alone in my observations that the "RAW" avi seems brighter than the MPEG-2 that is burned to DVD.
I still get , what I call "edge" noise, especially in areas of high contrast and try as I might , the image is always falling below anticipation. It never is as good as the Camera footage.
The other thing that seems odd, is that playing the Mpeg file on my Pc --the image looks great.!! Solid boundries no edge fuzz, so guess this liitle hobby I've bestowed upon myself is going to swallow more hours until I get it right. Maybe I am expecting to much from the format (mini-dv and dig. 8 ) all I know is , the recently encoded Hi 8 tapes from 12 years ago give better results.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 1 Jul 2005, 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVD MPEG-2 uses 9.8 Mb/s or less, and is meant to compete with VHS. DV (assuming your camera is DV) uses 25 Mb/s and is meant to compete with Hi8 and Beta SP. So, naturally, there's a difference in quality. The difference can be pretty small, though, if you use a good encoder with the right settings.

If the resulting DVD plays well on your PC but has problems on set-top players, then there's a good chance the problem lies in the set-top player. Some older players have problems with very high or very low bitrates. If your bitrate is above 8000, try lowering it a bit and see if it helps. Also, if you have a "progressive-scan" or 100 Hz TV with motion compensation, it's normal for the edges of the image or the areas under scrolling text (ex., credits) to shake a bit.

The brightness when playing back with a software player can depend on a lot of things (namely the graphics card's overlay mode). If the DVD looks darker than the DV tapes when played on a TV, it might be because the YUV conversion is scaling the values twice (once in the codec and once in the encoder). Look for the "Basic YCbCr" option in the compression guide.

RMN
~~~
GEORGE 111

PostPosted: Sun 3 Jul 2005, 6:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks rmn. I have made today, multiple short clips into MPEG-2 then to DVD. No matter what I do, the "edge noise/fuzzy/shimmer ?"--(Don't know the correct description-)----continues. However, when I pause the image, that area of edge noise/fuzzy/shimmer ---breaks cleanly to display quite distinct jagged edges, not unlike what I have seen displayed during the encoding process. Releasing the pause to resume playback, the distinct jagged edges again "disolve" into the "edge noise/fuzzy/shimmer " like appearance.
Any ideas----or is it perhaps just a bad camera ? Thanks again.
RMN
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon 4 Jul 2005, 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like something is (trying to) deinterlace the image, and failing near the edges. Make sure you do not have deinterlacing enabled in TMPGEnc. And if you have a progressive scan / 100 Hz TV, try disabling its motion compensation (usually called "advanced progressive scan" or something like that).

RMN
~~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dvd-hq.info Forum Index -> Compression All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: